Sign in to follow this  
Richard

Cob Web Dusting

Question

15 answers to this question

I'm going for a structural pestiside lic. over the winter. Seems like the obvious add on (or Extra).

From boom Lic- fall arrest- confined spaces-water recovery- pests.

I'm starting to think that the more Lic's and services, the more likely u r to become a 1 stop shop. Most people are either cheap, or lazy. I don't want the cheap ones. I'd rather cater to the lazy (comfortable) ones. They just want some one they can trust. Won't rip them off, tell them what will help, and will provide a service, at a reasonable rate.

Edited by Richard

Who knows how to clean cow (calf) barns.

If you live in Canada, you are in the city, or the burbs or the country. And that can take almost 15 - 45 min. to get from one to the other.

Has any one out there have any experiance with COWS.

Help if you will. Just please don't guess.

If you "know". I'm all ears.

post-1675-137772278331_thumb.jpg

post-1675-137772278375_thumb.jpg

post-1675-13777227842_thumb.jpg

I used to clean them with a shovel. I also worked a livestock auction and cleaned up afterwards when I was in high school. You are going to smell like S%^& but that can also smell like money. It is going to take lots and lots of water. volume is the only thing that will move this crap (literally).

It's a calfing barn. They are getting a trophy this year. That same heard has been going for 100 years.

I'd like a soap that won't effect the calves. I'll get harassed, I'm sure, when I say," I'm not overly concered about making much money", as I am doing the job right. The owner said the last guy ( dead now) took 3 hours. I told him I normally charge $185 per hr, for 3 guys inc the the gear. $6-700, and he supplies a water truck.

If I've never done it, then i want the job, just to put it in my porfollio. People pay to go to school to get experiance. I'd like to put this in my photo sales book.

SO, the question is, what soap, can I use that won't bother the calves ????????????

I think I was very vauge. All he wants is the metal walls and ceiling. Not to worry about the flooring. Says money is tight ( ya, they all say that ), just walls and ceiling.

Edited by Richard

I don't know as we never used any soaps, just lots of water and pressure. Keep in mind also that what ever you wash with will end up on the fields also. That is a good question though. I would think that pressure with a little heat would be enough for the concrete and metal I have seen.

That would be a good one for the portfolio.

Thanks Pat

You and I are on the same page. I really don't want to recover. And the term Bio-degradable , really is an over used, and relatively useless word.

Now in saying that. I also have NO direct experiance. Hense why I'm asking.

Thanks again for your input.

I'm starting to think that the more Lic's and services, the more likely u r to become a 1 stop shop. Most people are either cheap, or lazy. I don't want the cheap ones. I'd rather cater to the lazy (comfortable) ones. They just want some one they can trust. Won't rip them off, tell them what will help, and will provide a service, at a reasonable rate.

Way to go Richard... doing more for each customer means less customers needed and you can focus your marketing on a smaller area - same spend but seen in more places and then less travelling which means more chargeable hours per week... especially good if you can work where you live. Just make sure there is a return on your investment - all that equipment and the vehicle to carry it around in costs.

Cheers

Congrats Richard on your first barn gigg!

If I we're you w/ time permitting. I'd consider hitting the floor on the way out as a 'thanks for choosing us' kinda jester ... should clean-up rather easily w/ a hot water machine.

Let us know how it goes and take some after pictures to post.

Clean it well, 'til the cows come home :)

Edited by mrwindow

I love how he wants to "not do the floor"........hellloooooo people - remember gravity? Really? What is the likelihood of you washing the ceiling and walls "only" and not rinsing the floor! You'll rinse the floor just so you can walk through! I'm all for doing the extra step by rinsing but your customer is not stupid. He knows you're going to have to rinse your own mess and by saying "not the floor", has just secured a free floor :(

With THAT said, it seems that the most disgusting part is the floor which would require the soap or disinfectant....wouldn't the ceiling and walls be mostly hair and bedding dust with maybe a section of just dirt where some bovine rubbed against the wall? Have you considered using a "baby shampoo" or even a puppy/kitten shampoo as the soap? Those it would seem would be safe for a baby moo.

The walls have a lot of (he says) fly **** on them. I figured, go past quickly with the cob web duster, hot water, and test out the twin torbo.

I'll take a lot of before and afters. I'm not going for a major clean. 3- 3 1/2 hours max.

We do some of these regularly. just use your reg house wash soap minus the SH and the key on fly crap is to soak the ceiling out ahead of you. I don't think you will have any trouble. As far as the floor it is probley always dirty anyways and they really don't want it clean, it will be dirty again in 24 hours. Good luck!!

P.S. We did one of these today.