Sign in to follow this  
Justin Cole

Just Getting Started

Question

Hi everyone. I am new to PW field (I have worked on my house, families and neighbor's) I work as a personal trainer as my trade but I would like to branch out into a business of my own. I have a CAT PW 3000 psi. I would like to make a go at this and would take this carreer as a PW seriously. Any general advice (any and all will help). I am going out this Friday to give a guy a quote to do his window sills and maybe concrete blocks and look at his roof. Does it sound like it will be something I will be able to do. Will I need special chem's? Thanks!

8 answers to this question

Be careful about window sills. It is easy to blow water in around the windows. You would benefit from having a dual lance or different size tips to control your pressure.

Roofs are a whole different animal. You need different detergents and they can be cleaned with low pressure.

The concrete blocks... It would help to know what you are cleaning off of them to select a detergent. With high pressure you can inadvertantly remove the mortar if it is in poor shape.

We clean most substrates with low pressure (less than 2000 PSI), highest volume GPM as available and with the appropriate detergents.

I hope this helps.

Do you mean this is a cinder block construction house? Does it have stucco over the block?? Be careful on getting screwed into doing a whole house wash under the ploy of only doing the window sills. If that house is like the houses here, theres no way to wash the sills and not get a clean area under the windows...are you going to leave the house like that??? I doubt it, so you will be in actuality cleaning the whole house. Is it 1 story or 2 ?? How many GPM(gallons per minute) is your unit. I have very recently myself started washing houses in my area, received great help from some great members here, so I will pass along what info I can.

I have not looked into roof cleaning at all, but as stated above, it is a whole different ball game..not done with a power washer.

Hi everyone. I am new to PW field (I have worked on my house, families and neighbor's) I work as a personal trainer as my trade but I would like to branch out into a business of my own. I have a CAT PW 3000 psi. I would like to make a go at this and would take this carreer as a PW seriously. Any general advice (any and all will help). I am going out this Friday to give a guy a quote to do his window sills and maybe concrete blocks and look at his roof. Does it sound like it will be something I will be able to do. Will I need special chem's? Thanks!

Welcome to TGS. Please go to your "my controls" and complete your signature line. ( good place for your website as well). Again, welcome to TGS.

Thanks for the advice guys. I will see the house on Friday to give him a quote. I will drive by tommorrow (it's near to me) and scope it out. For just starting do you think I could be safe with Home Depot detergents?

Thanks for the advice guys. I will see the house on Friday to give him a quote. I will drive by tommorrow (it's near to me) and scope it out. For just starting do you think I could be safe with Home Depot detergents?

Better off finding a distributor that has commercial grade chems other than HD. The right chems will get your job done more efficiently and cut cleaning time down.

Again, please go to your "MY CONTROLS" and complete your signature line. House Rules.

Adrian I thought I took care of my sig. line. If not what exactly do I do. Thanks.

Any advice on where I can find a local distributor in my area?

You got it Justin. It's also a good place for your company info as well.

Have you looked up Univar or Harcos. Maybe they have a branch in your area. Buying in bulk will bring the cost per gallon down alot.