Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

Deck Restoration is relatively safe from hacks

Question

I was just looking over some of my 'after' photos of a deck I restored a couple of months ago and compared them to how the deck looked prior to me taking on the job. Then I remembered some of the conversation the homeowner was recounting she had with the other two guys bidding - who were less than half my prices. And I realized why so many trades have gone by the wayside where as deck restoration as some 'immunity' from the sleaze-blobs out there.

What I realized is that the quality of our work is commensurate with how 'pretty' the final outcome is. It's that simple. Making a deck that has horrible products applied to it - has weathered horribly - has the mysterious 'black' that is almost impossible to remove. And then you hand back a deck that is immaculate - that impresses folks. These other guys bid so cheap, and it's nearly impossible for them to deliver a quality product - decks are unforgiving - you can't just slop stain on and make 'em look good. It requires attention to detail - and good understanding of your chemicals and a dedication and readiness to invest in very expensive equipment sometimes.

Can the 'sleaz-ball' still do quality work? Of course he can, but this is a probability game. And the probabilities are stacked against him - take rattle snakes for instance. We have 'em in New England, but the weather is not conducive for a healthy population - so you don't have to worry about running into them like you do in southwest. A walk through the forest is a probability of life and death - the but the probability is so nil I never worry about it. Same with deck restoration - I know there are some guys that can equal my quality for less than half my money - but the probabilities are stacked against him. Perhaps there someone who is a laid off engineer and can get 20 websites off his own server and put my own domain down - but unlikely.

This is what makes it difficult in the painting trades - sometimes there is very little noticeable difference between a superb job and a hack job. I have to go do an estimate for someone that resided one side of their home. There are guys that will slap paint on it and call it a day. Where as I know a full TSP/bleach wash is needed. Some guys will go ahead and caulk the cracks with the cheapest caulking known to mankind. I won't caulk before all those bare wood cracks have been primed. Heck I love to reprime factory primed siding - because it gives much more life to a project. In the end - my job won't look different - but it will be twice as expensive. Who do you think the homeowner will go with?

7 answers to this question

There are "hacks" in just about every field out there. We all run into them periodically. All we can do is explain how we're different/better. We won't get them all, but the key is asking questions to know what your customer really wants.

I find occassionally that they really don't want to "spend" that much money right now. Sometimes you can get the job later, when they really know they want it done right, instead of slapping another coat of stain on the deck.

Well, I had a woman call me in tears the other day, because cheap hack that is unlicensed in our area screwed up her deck royally, and is threatening to send her to collections if she doesn't pay the balance - which he's not even entitled to by law since he's not licensed. (it works that way in MD)

I sent her to the state of MD and to the BBB.

Oh - and I told her next time....don't go with the cheap guy who can come out tomorrow!

Beth

Remember...

"It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little.

When you pay to much, you lose a little money, that is all.

When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do.

The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot, it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better."

John Ruskin 1819-1900

Hey Beth, if you still have her number, ask her to contact the MD Home Improvement commission and ask for:

Executive director Steve Smitson

He needs to hear about situations like this so that maybe when I go through with my appeal something will be done to change it. I'd also like to get other local contractors involved as well. Let me know if your interested.

Hey Beth, if you still have her number, ask her to contact the MD Home Improvement commission and ask for:

Executive director Steve Smitson

He needs to hear about situations like this so that maybe when I go through with my appeal something will be done to change it. I'd also like to get other local contractors involved as well. Let me know if your interested.

It would go over better if MANY of us went before MD as opposed to just one voice. It's large numbers of people together that make these things move forward.

I'll pass the name you have shared to her. We'll most likely restore the deck and undo the damage in the spring. I've given her all she needs to turn the person/company in already.

Beth

It would go over better if MANY of us went before MD as opposed to just one voice. It's large numbers of people together that make these things move forward.

I'll pass the name you have shared to her. We'll most likely restore the deck and undo the damage in the spring. I've given her all she needs to turn the person/company in already.

Beth

That's what I'd like to do, get a lot of contractors involved. The MHIC did not want a large group addressing them the first time though, they wanted to see if there was any merit in it first. Now that they've decided there isn't enough of a reason to pursue licensing because not that many people care, we can prove to them that there is a need for it.