Sign in to follow this  
Oxfordlawn

Rust color stains from battery acid

Question

The area where I operate is a golf cart community--gigantic--called The Villages. Anyway, now that I have ventured into house cleaning and have been doing quite a few lately...I have noticed the same rust colored type stains on several of my customers driveways. When asked, they all say that is where we washed our golf cart, and then this happened. The golf carts were all of the electric type and I know battery acid and white oxidation builds upo tremendously in the battery trays. When people wash and rinse this out, a rust colored stain gets left behind on the bare concrete driveways. How would one go about removing these stains. I have thought of quietly spraying some Oxalic and seeing what happens but that I feel may leave a very bright spot around the rust as well and look silly. So my question is what takes that stuff off. I may still do a sneak attack and sparay OX in a spot on someones driveway as an experiment..but lets try the right way first LOL

11 answers to this question

I may still do a sneak attack and sparay OX in a spot on someones driveway as an experiment..but lets try the right way first LOL

Why sneak, just tell them you have to do a test area and let them watch.

Then turn it into an entire driveway cleaning. ( Hopefully)

You might get it, you might not, but at least you have their attention to try the upsell.

Thanks..does that effect the color of the concrete where applied. Sould it be applied to the whole drive for an even finished product look or is spot application good.

You can do spot cleaning with it if you want to. Just read the destructions! Hahaha! I Mean the instructions!

Why sneak, just tell them you have to do a test area and let them watch.

Then turn it into an entire driveway cleaning. ( Hopefully)

You might get it, you might not, but at least you have their attention to try the upsell.

Why sneak...because I would never experiment with something on "my" customers property. First it gets tried on someone elses unknowingly, just in case.:eek: Whenever I try a new weedkiller on different grasses, I always test spray on a neighboring property of one of my customers so I can watch the progress or destruction. If it screws up and kills the grass as well...not my fault:banana:

To put a close on this thread...I bought the SUPER IRON OUT as suggested and it worked. I had also tried spraying with a product called WHITE OX just for the heck of it at an earlier date, but that just barely lightened the stain and left a super bright clean spot of cement driveway where the sprayy hit. The SUPER IRON OUT almost totally eliminated the stain, but also did not lighten the surrounding concrete that also was sprayed. If I looked real close I could still see a ghost outline of where the stain was, which may go away since concrete is porous, but everyone was surprised and extremely happy, including myself. Thanks again to all that responded!!!