Sign in to follow this  
john@AEC

quoting game

Question

:)

I love checking out every-ones job/quotes, so have taken some pics of an "interesting" house...

The owner wants the roof & walls etc cleaned. The roof is too high & steep for me (so am getting some-one with younger knees and their own safety gear to quote that).

What would you charge for cleaning gutter to ground?

These pics show the western end and north facing walls.

post-1787-137772285367_thumb.jpg

post-1787-137772285374_thumb.jpg

post-1787-137772285379_thumb.jpg

post-1787-137772285385_thumb.jpg

post-1787-13777228539_thumb.jpg

5 answers to this question

first verandah pic taken from second verandah

all the windows are wooden frames with wooden framed insect screens

the walls are all painted timber - all in very good condition

last pic is extension of second verandah around the back of the house

Every market is different, but I'd still be interested to know what you would do and how long it might take.

post-1787-137772285417_thumb.jpg

post-1787-137772285422_thumb.jpg

post-1787-137772285427_thumb.jpg

post-1787-137772285432_thumb.jpg

Can you give us an idea of the square footage of the house (sq. meters even)? I generally charge based on that, usally 12cents per sq. foot of floor space unless there is an excess of obsticals around the house. It's just not practical to measure the outside structure. The verandas and other horizontal surfaces 8-10 cents per sq foot. The gutters would be additional to that. I don't do many gutters so I can't give you a much advise on that but they look like a challenge and I would price accordingly.

I have a brother in law who lives on the Gold Coast. Pelican Waters, Caloundra I think. Ex-pat English guy emigrated there about 5 years ago.

Edited by Mountain View

Someone quoting a price in the states, and trying to transfer it to Australia is a very large stretch. That is as bad as someone in San Francisco giving a quote for a job in Alabama, where the cost of living is half, so prices are less, too. I am thinking you would be better served by a time estimate, so that you could translate that into your hourly rate.

BTW, I don't o that type of work, so I can't give you an estimate.

from G/E

Google Maps

sorry, I couldn't get it to embed or attach.

The perimeter is approx 145 m or 470 feet.

The area is approx 500 m2 or 5,400 ft2

G'day Scott - that's right, cost is not comparable, but I'd be interested to know how long people think it might take.

G'day Mountain View - I put this one up as it's difficult to apply a formula to, but I'd be interested to know how yours works out.

I priced this one using "GGF" - General Gut Feeling, by dividing it into sections and estimating how long each section would take and adding extra for removing the insect screens and dragging hoses though the trees and around all the paths etc.

John