Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

E-myth Revisited

Now this is a book! I am now kicking myself why I didn't get this book sooner, but then again I feel like after taking advice from Ken for the last two years and digesting it while doing my business - I can really appreciate and absorb what I am reading that much more.

And having said that - there are so many countless times that Fenner said the same thing over and over again over a multitude of threads that even I didn't get until this morning reading about the prototype of franchising.

Like Starbucks, how many times did he talk about it? And after having read this particular chapter, I am like 'duh' - it's not about the coffee. Starbucks is in business to sell Starbucks. I have increased my business tremendously, but now I feel like i have the tools to take it one step further. Now I really understand it when Ken mentions that we aren't in business selling pressure washing. He is sooooo right. Next year - I will analyze everthing I do against a template of my business. I will be selling my business and not pressure washing. I understand that so much better now.

I was reading a post last night about how Jeff sells his whole house brushing as professional - and measured up against a template of a prototype franchise, I was just nodding my head back and forth - no no no. So many guys have opinions - but when it comes down to it, who's succesful and what business model did they use? Starbucks, McDonalds, Dunkin' Donuts. None of them are selling coffee, donuts, nor hamburgers - I mean seriously if you consider Dunkin's to be a good quality doughnut - you have never had donut. They are selling themselves; the hamburgers, donuts, and coffee are just by-products not the main selling point.