Sign in to follow this  
gutterdog

Ways to use the new mini laptop (netbook)in the field

I bought one of those mini lap tops, or netbooks, Yesterday. Ive been doing everything by hand and feel, for the last 5 years.

I bought it knowing I'll find a place for it, in the company. Out in the field.

I thought this might make a good thread. I worded the title that way.

What are other Ideas? Other uses of the internet on the road? GPS is one I understand, but I like the Tom Tom.

Share your Ideas 'n thoughts. What you are doing, and plan to do with the internet on the road!

Don't eat too much turkey!! Get all the work you can get(days shorter now). Happy Thanksgiving!

I have an Acer Aspire One with an ATT air card built in from Radio Shack for $50 w/2 yr agreement. Works great in the field with MS Streets & Trips. I can email or eFax invoices and proposals while on the (side of) the road. I recently bought Dragon voice recognition software, as monkeys can type faster than me! (I have 10 years of records that I'd like to input!)

I added a wireless mouse and a bluetooth dongle to sync my phone and a 9 cell battery on eBay for about $40. I also found a $40 laptop stand that bolts to the floor of my van and uses 1" pipe and a plexiglass top. It works quite well and has a quick release so its not obvious that you have a laptop on board.

I have an Acer Aspire One with an ATT air card built in from Radio Shack for $50 w/2 yr agreement. Works great in the field with MS Streets & Trips. I can email or eFax invoices and proposals while on the (side of) the road. I recently bought Dragon voice recognition software, as monkeys can type faster than me! (I have 10 years of records that I'd like to input!)

I added a wireless mouse and a bluetooth dongle to sync my phone and a 9 cell battery on eBay for about $40. I also found a $40 laptop stand that bolts to the floor of my van and uses 1" pipe and a plexiglass top. It works quite well and has a quick release so its not obvious that you have a laptop on board.

That sounds pretty cool! You really got it figured out! Got any pics???

I got the asus Eee pc. 6 cell batery, Microsoft xp. wireless mouse, 2 yr protection and virus stuff. came to round 500. Got the wireless radio thing from sprint, and up to 5 hrs a day for 60 a month.

You could also use it during a sale. Here are some options:

• Have a slide show of before and after pictures.

• Make a PowerPoint presentation to act as an outline for your sale.

• Make a video for customers to watch.

wireless radio thing from sprint, and up to 5 hrs a day for 60 a month.

I have VerizonWireless 3g on my Blackberry phone which gets plugged into laptop, gets internet connection for $40 month unlimited usage, and its quicker download speeds than you would think---phone hooks to computer with USB and then you have internet connection on the road

Edited by Oxfordlawn