Sign in to follow this  
RSuds

Sell ups

Question

I would like to know if you guys give your employees extra money if they do more work at a job or what you do about sell ups? I have a problem with my guys not getting the extra's. I give them a % on any extra money they get at a job and since I do most of my Estimates over the phone(For houses and I do not want to here go out and look at them all, we do to many and it works for me) we can always do extra stuff, sidewalks, patio's, roofs, decks, neighbors.

So it is that time of the year when I go out on the truck and work (say we do 4-5 jobs a day) and when I'm out doing it we get 200.to 400 extra a day with no problem they can not get 200-400 in a week. I know I care more and all that, I just wonder if anyone has got any good ideas on how to get them to do more.

7 answers to this question

I would like to know if you guys give your employees extra money if they do more work at a job or what you do about sell ups? I have a problem with my guys not getting the extra's. I give them a % on any extra money they get at a job and since I do most of my Estimates over the phone(For houses and I do not want to here go out and look at them all, we do to many and it works for me) we can always do extra stuff, sidewalks, patio's, roofs, decks, neighbors.

So it is that time of the year when I go out on the truck and work (say we do 4-5 jobs a day) and when I'm out doing it we get 200.to 400 extra a day with no problem they can not get 200-400 in a week. I know I care more and all that, I just wonder if anyone has got any good ideas on how to get them to do more.

I guess it all depends on what % your giving on the upsell. It has to be much more then there hourly wage or its not worth it to them. For example my guys not only upsell when they can but they also pick up the money from my customers when there are done so they know what I make on most jobs. They don't know what I charge for the big jobs which are around $3000 and up because that kind of money I deal with. Sometimes on those bigger jobs they may pick up some money from my customer on the first day of the big job but they still don't know what I am charging on those. The small jobs its easy to figure it out. So since I pay my guys a decent hourly wage the upsell will be more because most of there days in season are running 10-12 hours anyway so to make them stay later then they have to they get a substantial increase for that extra work which of course I'll be getting more money without ever being there.

Thats the way I do it but my methods aren't what most do. Good luck,

Yes I'm the same way with getting the money and Iused to give up to 20% but when you have 2 guys at 40% and then you are paying them both more (hourly pay) on top of chemicals they may need to use for the sellup and gas it was kind of a wash for me, so now I pay 15% or 10% for just a helper. But I think they just want to be done for the day and not worry about extras.

Another day on the truck and got extra's again, I also think that most of the people want the extra stuff done they just need to know that you can do it. I did not get many replies on this so I guess no one else has this problem?

More money does not make an employee happier for the most part. I tell my guys to turn down any request for extra work as we generally have a hard enough time getting done what is on the schedule as it is.

Doing an extra driveway or gutter cleanout would cost me money in the long run. My day is filled from sun up to cleaning gutters out by flashlight every day. If they took on extra work, something would not get done that day and have to be pushed to the next and it just gets worse from there. If they want something else done, they get on the schedule for the next time I am in there area. I guess I don't turn it down, I just can't do it then.

Brian, I could tell you what I would do, but its speculative. My model is a different one. I justify my meeting with every single person with the additional margin made at the time I am out there estimating. My standing rule is similar to Williams, if it is not on the work order, it cannot be done. I agree you should be getting that extra money but I would be advising you to change the way you look at your model. A possible route would be your website but that will only apply to leads generated there. Call me and we'll brainstorm.