Sign in to follow this  
Gavin

TWP.......no thanks

Question

So I'm doing this 200 sq ft deck using TWP Redwood. Since I've discovered some better applicating brands I'm not using TWP anymore but here's the story.

This deck is really old and is in horrible shape. Needed to be replaced not refinished. Anyway, so I have some left over TWP redwood and it was the color that the homeowner wanted so I figured I would use what I had left from a job a few months ago. I figured, Im not going to use super high quality on a deck that should be torn down. It was so bad I couldn't even sand the top rail (I throw in the sanding of the rail for free, minimally, with my bids). The screwheads alone would have torn my belt sander up. Not to mention, to get a flat surface again I would have had to take off at least a 1/4 inch! Anyway, the wood was very thursty and I ended up running out of stain about 3/4 of the way through. At this point the deck has already used enough stain to cover any "normal" deck this size twice! So I go to the same Kwal's dealer and get a couple more gallons of the same TWP brand and exact same TWP color...... or that's what I thought. The color wasn't even close. The new stuff I got looked like it had a higher solid content. I mean, the old stuff went down like stain should. The new stuff went down like paint. I don't get it. If a company can't keep it's colors consistant, why would ANYONE want to use them? Does a lot of good to track my color usage if it's not going to matter.

Had to vent. Thanks for listening!

12 answers to this question

This is not specific to TWP. The difference in color (even from can to can) can typically vary from a small to a large amount (even within the same batch). Most instructions on the containers will tell you to mix all batches together for one job so your color will be consistant.

Yeah, I would have mixed if I thought I was going to run short. I was trying to finish off a 5 gal pail and thought I had more than enough to do the job. I understand slight variances will happen but this was two completely different colors and textures. Not even close. I'm still learning though. Thanks for the advice.

Now you are going to use WoodTux or ReadySeal right. No guess work and every can IS the same color. I hear ya on TWP, they keep making it and i'll stay in business taking it off. It's made here in St Louis and I still can't believe how much it costs here. 95.00 per pail befor tax.

Reed

Yes, yes, yes..... I do want to try out both RS and WT. Since this is my first year of business I'm still learning customer trends for this part of the country. I have a feeling next year is going to be rediculasly busy and I will have a better feel for it and I'll know what to order. As far as price, I was getting the TWP for $80 per 5 gal. Hard to pass up that price. I pay $120 for the Superdeck. It's not that I don't want to order from Beth & Rod (love the HD-80), I was just trying to get a local distributor that I could rely on. This year I've done 7 decks, so as you can see they are few and far between (but gaining momentum). I can easily see me doing 30 or more decks next year and then I WILL need a constant supply source I can count on.

Reed,

I can get TWP for $85 per 5! Crazy huh? I prefer buying it in single gallons, because many times I can't use the whole five on one job, and TWP does not have pour spouts....you have to pry off the stupid lid, and then try to bend down all the metal tabs to reseal the lid.

TWP is a very big seller for me, I have no problems with premature failure. My experience has shown it lasts every bit as long as RS, and I have photo documentation to prove it.

I guess it goes to show what a difference it makes in various regions of the country.

It's either that, or you have a bunch of hacks applying it on incorrectly prepared surfaces.

Gavin,

Sounds odd to me. Two thoughts: 1) was it the same series i.e, 100, 200, 400, 500??

2) One thing about TWP is that it settles really badly in the bottom of the can. Perhaps the old was not thoroughly (and i mean thoroughly) mixed.

Like APLUS, I've had fantastic results with TWP, but our main destructive force in this area of the country is mildew (blackening). Your main problem will be UV degradation. It has done the best for me, followed by RS and Sikkens SRD. SRD is way to difficult to work with in my opinion however, but does have great colors.

I've found TWP to be the most versatile product on the market, for what it can do for me. I need: thrilled customers, easy application, impressed neighbors, good price, "save"ability (ability to make an old, exausted deck look presentable again), one coat, easy spraying, penetrates without a sheen and film (which is very difficult to achieve with a one-coat product), can be applied to new wood, and perhaps most importantly, is easy (and cheaper) to maintain. For me, TWP is best for all of these things.

I am going to be in your area for business in August, email me if you want a hand on a couple of decks. There is a lot of money to be made in your area for wood restoration, and you may as well be the guy making it.

Jon Fife

jfife81721@aol.com

Twp is one of the top penitrating oils. Ready Seal and ABR is the other. I have a difficult time getting it here. I think the cool thing is the series of oils and knowing when to choose the right oil. You must go by the density and age of the wood. Same with ABR and some of it's new products . The 100 series is a waste on old PT for example ( to thin not enough solids ). " Get to know your products and what they do for the wood " .

Hey Jon,

Yeah, I used the same series. And you're right, it does settle badly. I mixed and mixed and mixed to no avail. This deck was in HORRIBLE shape so maybe that was a factor. I have some before pics I'll post. You guys will laugh. I'll post the after pics as soon as I get back over there (misplaced my digital for a few days).

It is very true about UV degridation here. Most of the decks fail so badly that stripping is a cinch.

Rick,

TWP is sold at ICI Delux Paint Stores in my area. I believe they are the largest paint store in the country, if not they are close. I believe they own Porter Paints and a few other popular names. There are other places that may carry it, but this is the big one. The company that makes TWP is called "Amteco" and are based out of Pacific, MO. I don't have the website or #, but I am sure a little 'net searching will get you what you need. Should be lots in your area. The product was actually made to handle the mildew problems that are present in Miami, FL. Miami has the highest mildew content in the nation, and that is where TWP does its testing. You'll have great results in your area, and will have an easy time marketing your product once you let customers know that the product was made to withstand Miami mildew.