Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

Look, Fenner, this is how poor my customers are

Question

141 answers to this question

Chris you've been in business how many years? Possibly even a 2nd generation painter if I am not mistaken? You've taken the route of doing commercial large projects and all - and that takes time to build up to that level. But I've seen plenty of big guys in the last year that were doing millions in commercial work from all different trades - and they lose that one account - and they're all done. I know a guy that made millions running cable for Comcast, after having a very successful landscaping company, then someone came along and underbid him by a couple tenths of a penny per mile - and now his truck sits stagnant in some commercial lot - while he is passing out fliers for snow plowing, hoping to make a few bucks this winter.

10 years and no other painters in my family. I am the only blue collar worker. I own everything in my business and have never had a business loan. I have grown from the sweat off my own back and have walked away from my largest customer several times in my career for the growth and for the betterment of my business. I have more than one iron in the fire Dan.

Chris, I know about the bluebook - even met with those guys. But I don't have the know how to approach commercial work, first of all I would have to learn how to estimate from blueprints - and I'd rather not think about that now. Perhaps your perspective is correct that a true painting business is one that does commercial work, and the residential guys are just a bunch of hobbyists. I'd like a few years with a few reliable guys working for me before even thinking about commercial.

I know your a smart man Dan but you have a mental block. You just cant believe that anyone can do what your doing legally, successfully and while being profitable. You think you are so smart that it is impossible for anyone to do better than you. Your very close minded. If you opened your mind to learn from others you just might make some money.

You understand that posting on internet forums at 9am doesnt pay?

Chris, I know about the bluebook - even met with those guys. But I don't have the know how to approach commercial work, first of all I would have to learn how to estimate from blueprints - and I'd rather not think about that now. Perhaps your perspective is correct that a true painting business is one that does commercial work, and the residential guys are just a bunch of hobbyists. I'd like a few years with a few reliable guys working for me before even thinking about commercial.

Now we are getting somewhere ..... you have to have a mix to grow. Small commercial is very easy to get into. Very easy. Reading blue prints is very easy as well.

ANd I do not think Res guys are just hobbyists. I know many very successful guys that are strictly res painters.

Chris, not to go off topic, but was that you who emailed Archibald from Newburyport High school computer and told him he sucked at wallpapering? Supposedly the email went something along the lines of 'You call yourself a hanger? I wouldn't pay you to wallpaper my doghouse'. We all think it was you. LOL!!!!!!!

Hello NEPS,

Is this a correct statement as to your opinion, or is Dan off? I'm curious---not offended in the least bit. Would love to hear move if that is indeed your opinion. I've heard others say that of different trades....always intrigued by it.

BTW, what is "Bluebook?"

Now we are getting somewhere ..... you have to have a mix to grow. Small commercial is very easy to get into. Very easy. Reading blue prints is very easy as well.

ANd I do not think Res guys are just hobbyists. I know many very successful guys that are strictly res painters.

Okay, just read this. But I'm assuming you do believe large comm/industrial, etc. is better. Why? Aside from larger jobs, what other benefits?

Chris, not to go off topic, but was that you who emailed Archibald from Newburyport High school computer and told him he sucked at wallpapering? Supposedly the email went something along the lines of 'You call yourself a hanger? I wouldn't pay you to wallpaper my doghouse'. We all think it was you. LOL!!!!!!!

No Dan it wasnt. I have a family and a real business to run. Go ask a few mods over ther who it was. I am a man and not a child.

Edited by neps.us
retract statement not wanting to break forum rules

Hello NEPS,

Is this a correct statement as to your opinion, or is Dan off? I'm curious---not offended in the least bit. Would love to hear move if that is indeed your opinion. I've heard others say that of different trades....always intrigued by it.

BTW, what is "Bluebook?"

Dan is off as usual.

If you want JFife, pm me about the Blue Book and other commercial avenues and I'd be more than happy to give you my opinion.

No Dan it wasnt. I have a family and a real business to run. Go ask a few mods over ther who it was. Sorry Dan but if I wanted to mess with Bill I would knock on his door. I am a man and not a child.

If you would like to continue spreading silly rumors about me then I 'd like a face to face with you as well little man.

I wasn't spreading rumours, Chris, I was asking you - is there harm in asking?

Okay, just read this. But I'm assuming you do believe large comm/industrial, etc. is better. Why? Aside from larger jobs, what other benefits?

It depends on what you want your company to become.

I wasn't spreading rumours, Chris, I was asking you - is there harm in asking?

Dont back down now Dan. You were being accusational.

It's funny how a few mod's came to my defense because Bill has a axe to grind with me because I have called him out on many occassions. Go read the thread little man. It clearly states it was not my doing. Your assumptions are just like your pretend business model. Fake.

I admit it's not as impressive as your yard sign but it works.

Oh come on, even I'll give you your ad is better than my yard sign - heck you did 3 mil in sales, and I did 30k. So that's a 100 fold difference, but then again if I put a hundred signs out like mine - who knows?

Oh come on, even I'll give you your ad is better than my yard sign - heck you did 3 mil in sales, and I did 30k. So that's a 100 fold difference, but then again if I put a hundred signs out like mine - who knows?

Hahahaha:D I agree Dan, no way to know unless you try. 100 of your signs strategically placed in your town is honestly about the most awesome thing I could ever imagine. Are you two in the same town?

True Dan. Good luck with what you have. You obviously know better.

Hahahaha:D I agree Dan, no way to know unless you try. 100 of your signs strategically placed in your town is honestly about the most awesome thing I could ever imagine. Are you two in the same town?

If we were I wouldnt even notice. Unfortunately.

JF

I didnt even know you were a fellow painter. Nice! I like the new avatar btw.

No no no Jon, Chris is in Hanover - I am in Andover. Sounds similar I know.

Dan

What is your 40' yard dash time these days?

Why do you ask? When I was in grade school and jr. high - I beat all the track records for the 50 yard and 100 yard dash. Even to this day - I can catch up to my nephews trying to ride their bikes away from me, even after giving them a head start - and I mean 16 and 17 year old boys.