Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

Look, Fenner, this is how poor my customers are

Question

141 answers to this question

Dan

Whats the little vehicle decal on the hood of your van?

It's a magnet sign of a Mini Cooper with my buddies business name on it - he does all the marketing and truck lettering on my vehicle. He kind of slapped it on as a joke - and if you knew me, you'd understand my laissez-faire laid back attitude of not giving a hoot. But I did try to take it off a couple of weeks ago, and it seems it's stuck for good. Oh well, LOL.

It's a wonder to me that Van still works to this day, it's going to be 15 years old next year. And it's still going strong. It's a test vehicle, so I don't really care at this point what's stuck on it.

When you say test vehicle, do you mean from a marketing standpoint?

If thats what you mean, I have experimented with different things on our 3 trucks, phone number, website, different visuals, etc. Its good to experiment, but not stray to far from the core. I hate to use the term branding, because we are all so small that I am not sure its the right word, but it is good visibility and name awareness. Some guys claim (note choice of word) to get tons of business from their truck. Kelly from the other paint forum was one, and no one knows what ever happened to him, but in my experience since '96 of having well graphiced trucks all over the roads every day, I am not entirely sold on it as a marketing tool that will make the phone ring, because I have had leads that I can count on my fingers over the years that were directly attributable to it. But I do think it conveys a professional image and is good exposure. Curious to hear how your experimenting goes.

Scott, I am not convinced of vehicle lettering as a marketing tool either unless you are dominating a small area. Then people get that subliminal slam going on.

Dan, that looks like a condo building we just did. When was that pic taken? Has to be weeks ago? Our trees are nearly bare and with this wind/rain storm tonight they should be completely winterized by tomorrow afternoon.

Scott, I am not convinced of vehicle lettering as a marketing tool either unless you are dominating a small area. Then people get that subliminal slam going on.

Dan, that looks like a condo building we just did. When was that pic taken? Has to be weeks ago? Our trees are nearly bare and with this wind/rain storm tonight they should be completely winterized by tomorrow afternoon.

Oooh good catch Fenner. Whats Tambasco trying to pull here with the dated photo? :D

Ok, on further review and a quick run through the NE Digi Seasonal Analysis Software, I believe those pictures to have been taken in the last 4 weeks. The curiousity is that Dan doesnt have the studded snows on the van yet.

Nice house Dan .... Did you do any work there or did your truck break down in front of it?

Not sure who this guy is. But it might be the funniest first post I have ever seen.

When you say test vehicle, do you mean from a marketing standpoint?

Firstly, Scott, when I say testbed - let me give you some background about me. If I bought a brand New Chevy Express 2500 Van - I'd get so god darn cooky about the paint finish, I'd probably hire some college chick to buff the paint with her bare buttocks with pure carnauba wax in an attempt to maintain a flawless finish. So the thought of violating it with truck lettering - or the thought of changing the lettering would violate every inner workings of my soul. But when I buy a used POS - suddenly I get a healthy attitude of not caring that much anymore. And that's what I mean by test bed - my buddy comes up with an idea, 5 minutes later we're tearing the old stickers off, denature alcohol cleaning the side of the van, and slapping the new stickers on.

If thats what you mean, I have experimented with different things on our 3 trucks, phone number, website, different visuals, etc. Its good to experiment, but not stray to far from the core. I hate to use the term branding, because we are all so small that I am not sure its the right word, but it is good visibility and name awareness.

It's exactly what I mean. The only thing I would consider Brand Naming with what I do is my company name - just the words - anything else in my opinion can change. I have this friend who is a decorator/designer and she starts telling me about how she wants to keep consistency about her 'brand' and I just roll my eyes. Brand Naming in an industry where you have 200 competitors in a 10 mile radius makes utterly no sense. As long as my company name doesn't change - I am cool with anything else - I'll change my message 10X a year if I have to. I am constantly thinking what the heck will a customer remember when driving down the road?

Some guys claim (note choice of word) to get tons of business from their truck. Kelly from the other paint forum was one, and no one knows what ever happened to him, but in my experience since '96 of having well graphiced trucks all over the roads every day, I am not entirely sold on it as a marketing tool that will make the phone ring, because I have had leads that I can count on my fingers over the years that were directly attributable to it. But I do think it conveys a professional image and is good exposure. Curious to hear how your experimenting goes.

Scott I have owned that truck/van for 5 years now {god has it been that long?} And the first 3-4 years I had magnets on the sides, then in the 4th year I had it 'professionally' lettered. And the truck lettering you see on the truck in the photos was done back in April of this year. I'll be honest - I haven't gotten one job directly attributable to my truck lettering until this year when this latest lettering style went up. That's 4 straight years, Scott.

This year I got close to 15k in sales directly from my truck lettering alone.

Coincidence? Absolutely not.

My friend is a cooky kind of whimsical guy who had just survived moving his shop into a new location. He's the kind of guy that 5 years ago decided to go to work doing boat canvas and sign work after his other careers with just 4 boxes of tools and his built a freaking mad shop to this point. At the point I met him - I was helping him get to the next stage of doing his sign business, he still had a 32 meg computer driving his cutter - he bought a used 'server' for $100 - I networked his machines and even spotted him the money to buy new software, he didn't have a dime to his name at this point.

Now look at how his business is progressing - it's like wow. So having him as my friend has been an extremely valuable asset to my business and has allowed me to really acquire a much higher understanding of marketing and attracting customers.

We're constantly talking advertizing/marketing and constantly testing things out, his buddy is a huge sign guy who does all the billboard advertizing in Fenway park whom we tap for information all the time. All this has allowed me to really understand what's going on. So to finally answer your question, truck lettering can be huge source of income - I can't tell you how often this season folks have told me about my truck lettering and how they were able to find me even 3 months later online because of my truck. So to really answer your question, if you aren't getting the jobs from your lettering - DO NOT ASSUME TRUCK LETTERING IS NOT GREAT ADVERTIZING!

Keep changing that truck lettering until something works. If you aren't getting jobs - then you aren't lettering the truck well. I don't know how to tell you how to go about getting it done well. I couldn't pay a sign guy to do what my friend has done - not to mention since he's a buddy he has a vested interest in my success, without him - I'd never be as successful as I have become.

Sorry Dan, I thought from your earlier post when you said it was a test vehicle that you meant that you hadnt found something worked yet, and I was empathizing, and Fenner responded in kind, that its not really an essential or reliable lead generator for me, and it doesnt have to be.

I am glad to hear that it has helped you achieve your current level of success. I am comfortable with my trucks as they are, and with the way my overall marketing strategies are working.

Nov. 2

So to finally answer your question, truck lettering can be huge source of income - I can't tell you how often this season folks have told me about my truck lettering and how they were able to find me even 3 months later online because of my truck. So to really answer your question, if you aren't getting the jobs from your lettering - DO NOT ASSUME TRUCK LETTERING IS NOT GREAT ADVERTIZING!

Dan

I bet you could tell me exactly how many times.

And if that is really happening alot, which is a relative term, I would consider the possibility that your website url and/or business name are not easy enough for them to remember, if they have to wait to see your truck on the road to find your website, thats actually bad news. I am confused by your marketing presentation but as long as the public is not, thats all that matters.

Changing the lettering message is a interesting idea. I hate to sound elitest but I'm not sure if the message on the side of the van or the message "of" the van will produce the biggest impact with a customer. When presenting a estimate that reflects higher than average hourly rates I would imagine it to be hard to sell when pulling up in a 15 year old black mini van with flame like pin striping.

I think vehicles and lettering are very important and just a piece of the pie when branding and marketing. First impressions are priceless and when pulling up to a million dollar home in a clean new looking vehicle with clean lettering the HO can and will feel a sense of security and professionalism before you ring the bell. If you pull up in a 15 year old black van with tinted windows I can imagine having a hard time selling.

Sorry Dan ......I just think that when you examine all phases of business this winter this may be a big one to tackle ....along with the name if your not painting any more.

Nice house Dan .... Did you do any work there or did your truck break down in front of it?

I cleaned out the gutters, re-painted his little back deck, and re-installed a new post to hold one of those cedar lamp posts back up, redid the wiring and restored all those posts to their present form - will post some photos.

I cleaned out the gutters, re-painted his little back deck, and re-installed a new post to hold one of those cedar lamp posts back up, redid the wiring and restored all those posts to their present form - will post some photos.

Dan

I am being serious here, and if you perceive it any other way, please do not respond at all, but, please tell me that this is not the same lamp post job you were posting about and you charged per sf for the lamppost restoration? Again, if I am wrong on this or if it something you dont want to discuss, please walk from this post. But I am serious. I didnt understand that whole theory of sf pricing on the lamppost repair.

Just poking a little fun Dan .....

Nice work.

Dan

I bet you could tell me exactly how many times.

And if that is really happening alot, which is a relative term, I would consider the possibility that your website url and/or business name are not easy enough for them to remember, if they have to wait to see your truck on the road to find your website, thats actually bad news. I am confused by your marketing presentation but as long as the public is not, thats all that matters.

I have changed about 4 times now to the present revision. Scott you don't get it - your company name isn't important and your website name isn't important, I'd go further to say your phone number isn't important. PM me if you want the real reasons why and how folks call - I'll explain further.

Dan

I am being serious here, and if you perceive it any other way, please do not respond at all, but, please tell me that this is not the same lamp post job you were posting about and you charged per sf for the lamppost restoration? Again, if I am wrong on this or if it something you dont want to discuss, please walk from this post. But I am serious. I didnt understand that whole theory of sf pricing on the lamppost repair.

Yes it's the same. I price my deck work by the SF. So having never ever done this before in my life - what else did I have to go by? I have absolutely no success in charging homeowners with a T&M type proposal and not to mention if you think guys like Doolittle think you'll go bankrupt charging $100 Man-hours, try explaining that to homeowners who are aghast at anything above $30.

Yes it's the same. I price my deck work by the SF. So having never ever done this before in my life - what else did I have to go by? I have absolutely no success in charging homeowners with a T&M type proposal and not to mention if you think guys like Doolittle think you'll go bankrupt charging $100 Man-hours, try explaining that to homeowners who are aghast at anything above $30.

I see. If the lamppost repair was an extra that they requested while you were doing the previously estimated work, I wouldnt have gone sf on it. Its a specialty, isolated set of services. Your sf pricing for the deck is based on an entirely different set of processes. Honestly, when a customer requests something unusual, and especially something we havent done before or dont do much of, I always reply t and m on it, and if it doesnt fly thats just fine.

I will pm you on the other stuff. I didnt mean to ruffle feather on any of it. Your posting here and at the org bbs lately has been engaging and interesting, so its just got me thinking out loud. At the risk of sounding like Terry, Thank You.

Changing the lettering message is a interesting idea. I hate to sound elitest but I'm not sure if the message on the side of the van or the message "of" the van will produce the biggest impact with a customer. When presenting a estimate that reflects higher than average hourly rates I would imagine it to be hard to sell when pulling up in a 15 year old black mini van with flame like pin striping.

I think vehicles and lettering are very important and just a piece of the pie when branding and marketing. First impressions are priceless and when pulling up to a million dollar home in a clean new looking vehicle with clean lettering the HO can and will feel a sense of security and professionalism before you ring the bell. If you pull up in a 15 year old black van with tinted windows I can imagine having a hard time selling.

Sorry Dan ......I just think that when you examine all phases of business this winter this may be a big one to tackle ....along with the name if your not painting any more.

Sorry, Chris, looked over my data for house washing and deck restoration been closing at the 60-70% range this year - and my pricing is on the high end of what folks post on these boards. I am in the process of deciphering how folks think - and your thoughts on a nice clean professional clean truck/van are totally antiquated. The only difference between me and some of the more successful guys here is the amount of marketing leads they generate. I understand how to sell my company - and understand the reasons why my van has absolutely no negative impact on perception like you theorize it would.

Ken - trust me, I don't want you to think I have a big head now - I am just answering Chris' thoughts. I still have a long way to go to be a sales guru.