Sign in to follow this  
svp07

Price/Sq. Ft.

Question

I was just looking for some input on prices for the following services by the sq. ft.:

1. clean and brighten

2. strip and brighten

I have looked through most of the old threads and have found nothing that breaks it down. The reason I am asking is that for the decks I have lined up I am doing the prep work and my father is doing the staining and he usually bills by the hour. I was thinking to clean and brighten .50 sq. ft. and to strip and brighten .70 sq. ft. I think the prices may be a little high but don't know, I live in an expensive part of the country.

Thanks.

44 answers to this question

You get it from the clerk at the County Offices. This is so no one can take your name and you can't take someone else's either. The document is Certificate Of True Name-NJSA 56:12.

I have a certificate of formation for my LLC...any connection. I had a lawer do all the paper work for me so I don't think anyone can take my name as the name I got was my backup name. They had to do a check of all other companies in NJ, I then had to register with the state.

Everett, where are you in NJ and what are you getting per sq. ft. for your decks when you have to strip/stain. I am in Bergen county.

Steve,

If you had a lawyer set you up you may or may not have all your paperwork. I have an excellent accountant and feel he knows more in some areas than the lawyer. Simply ask your lawyer if you have the NJSA 56:12. Registering your LLC with the State is different than the name. someone in a neighboring County can still go use your same name. If you look on the Boards or even in the different phone books you will see a lot of common names(Precision, Superior, A-1, etc.) that are used repeatedly, even in the same State. Honestly, I don't know how you opened a Bank Account without it, I have always been asked by the bank for that certificate.

In regards to pricing, my company has tiered pricing that usually ranges from $1.25/sq.ft. to $3.50/sq.ft. depending on the situation. Strip and stain will start between $1.50-$1.75/sq.ft., understand though that I usually am the highest bid. I am never the lowest, unless I am the only one.

If a check is written to my company I have to deposit it. My bank will cash it but I cannot get "less cash received" on my deposit. I actually have to fill out a withdrawl slip seperately. They don't put a "hold" on my checks......maybe it's policy, maybe it's because they know me.

Gunn Man, I also cash and don't deposit checks that are written out to me personally. My accountant uses my deposit receipts to track my business income.

I don't think it's a good idea to mix politics and business so I'll be leaving the whole presidential issue alone.

Depositing a business check is a Federal Guideline. My own bank will allow me to deposit the check and if it is a check drawn from the same bank it will be available immediately. If it is not then I have to wait the appropriate time. If you are a good customer of the bank and have the funds, I have seen the exception when a local check is deposited as a "no-hold" check.

Reed has the right idea by putting that on the bid sheet.

Total sq. ft. (including rails and step) = 1150

strip, neutralize, cover to dry, sand rails, set nails, 2 coats RS

Price = $2300-2600

Is that out of the ballpark or is that buying it?

This would be for Bergen County, NJ (10 min. from NYC).

Sounds High to me...I could never get $2.17 a sq. here...but then again..whats on it now?..what kind of railing?..how many steps?..evelated..landscaped..time restrictions?..etc.

What do you mean by "cover to dry" ?

I always let my decks naturally dry for at least 48 hours before I seal. If it rains, then I wait at least another 24 hours.

I think I am going to give them that est., we do a lot of work for these people so I am not bidding against anyone. I made it a range due to the stripping, there is stain on it from the previous owners; don't know what it is. It does not seem very thick but has turned the decking dark brown/blackish almost. I wanted to leave some room for a restrip if needed. Don't want the final bill to be shockingly high so I put a range, hoping it will be low....I have the HD-80 so i think it should come off, if it does not then I guess there is a change of plans.70' of rail w/ 3 2x2x40" per foot, 2 2x6" that make up the cap, 2x10" skirt, 6 4' steps, the rest decking, est. 1150 total sq. ft.

I live in NJ which is a very expensive part of the country.. and I dont know how the heck you guys make a living charging $0.50 a sq. ft for cleaning (let alone brightening) a deck. Youre telling me that a 120 sq ft deck (10X12) with railings and balisters that you're gonna do that job for $60? That barely pays for the drive time and setting up and breaking down of materials. Thats just my opinion.

-JC

Your business should always have an established minimum that you will take on a small job for. I take on small jobs because often they tend to lead to other jobs (be it from the same person or referrals).

I have a $150 minimum for small jobs. Folks are told up front when they start out saying I have this small deck or small concrete patio that I need cleaned. 75% of the time they say it's too much for such a small job, but that's OK because I saved a trip (estimate).

As for going rates in my area, most simple cleaning such as house siding, concrete and deck cleaning starts in the range of $45 per hour. That is companies with employees bill out at this hourly rate. It's a conservative city.

I live and work in a upper middle class area most homes i work on are in the $300- $600,000 range sometimes a little more. for that deck i would probably charge about 1200 to strip and stain, 900 to clean and stain.give or take 50 bucks. And i agree that people know they will be spending it again in a year 2, 3 ..so they are looking at price for the most part just like getting an oil change these days lol

This is a hecka old thread but I can't let somethings in it go without having say...

It is perfectly legal and always has been for a bank to cash a business check for a sole proprietor with 'doing business as' (dba) attached to account. Holds can be placed by a bank based on your standing with them and available funds. Bank tellers also have limits placed on them by the bank or it's computer system (i.e. Merlin) based on their abilities and sometimes the said system is configured more discriminitive at a perticular time. They can automatically deny the cashing ability of the teller and then it is up to the branch manager to like you and/or take a risk with you..

I have had this issue with BOF a few times over the years and every time I get it staightened out by going up the chain of command. The higher ups know full well there is no such fed guideline as mentioned earlier in this thread. It may apply to corporations,etc. but not sole proprietors and that is the key lingo of the matter.

As far as reporting goes...that is between you and the irs when you get your 1099's

p.s. This is how it is in Cali anyways..