Sign in to follow this  
Aplus

Water Tank

I've got a 330 gallon rectangular water tank. When I fill it up, it bulges out quite a bit. Does anybody use a metal or wire frame around their tank to help retain the shape?

I'm wondering if the longevity or safety of a tank would be improved with some kind of frame in place.

Any thoughts?

I have two 230 tanks similar to yours and they have a frame/cage around them. That is also what holds them to the trailer. They bulge here and there, but I never gave it to much thought. I wish I had a picture.

If you have no cage, how is it mounted?

On the bottom front and back, I have pieces of angle iron screwed to the floor to stop the tank from sliding around.

I have factory installed D-Rings in the floor, with ratchet type straps going over the tank to hold it down. It seems to secure the tanks very well. Of course, in the unthinkable event that the trailer should overturn, all bets for secureness are off.

Well,

I took a closer look at my tank last night when it was almost full, and even with that cage around it, it had some pretty noticable bulges between the rungs in the cage. Never noticed before, but never really looked either.

This was my recovery tank and the water temp in there was at least 120+, maybe the heat did it.

On my front tank, I had a bad float valve and it would not shut off, the top swelled so much, that the thing looked like a pregnant elephant. Did not do any harm, but I try to avoid doing it.