Sign in to follow this  
John Doherty

Attention Painters!

Question

I need an idea of a price to paint these shudders, they are vinyl and all are 2nd story. They need to be removed, cleaned, painted and put back up. This is volume pricing there are 250 pairs (500 individual shutters).

I'm also looking for as many reason as possible to replace them vs painting them.

post-498-137772305409_thumb.jpg

10 answers to this question

I say the same. $50 a set to remove, clean, 2 coats of paint, and reinstall. You may go a lil cheaper with that much volume. If your gonna paint them, make sure you spray them. Its gonna be impossibe to make any kind of money with a brush.

Edited by Chesapeake

As anything else, it depends on the quality of product you coat them with. Use a high quality paint from a recognized company (Sherwin Williams or Ben Moore) and follow the surface preparation directions. Talk with a sales rep from one of these companies and they will be able to recommend the product and tell you what you can expect from it. Another option is if the shutters are going back the same color, they can be coated with a vinyl restoration product. I've also briefly experimented with a clear sealer called SealKrete. It puts a clear satin finish over the vinyl and makes it look better than new.

Edited by Chesapeake

Old Mountain trick I learned! No chit! I got more too bout alot of stuff, LOL!!! I need to call him up! He back where he from now. Good man! Never asked for half, and taught me so much!

Edited by gutterdog

If they are painted how long until they need to be repainted?

John - the Muralo paint company is a neigbor of yours in Bayonne, Just pick up the Ultimate Mid Gloss

in their stock black color. Get a plastic trash barrels and fill with water and TSP and dunk the shutters

in - let 'em sit for a good while, take 'em out, scrub down real quick and pressure wash off. Spray on

a couple of coats - it will be good for 10 years.

John,

Why are you taking them down? No need. I've got a product called Restora it was made by Flood (they discontinued product when they were bought by an overseas company - good product but did not "fit" with the "wood care" line of products that they make). It really makes them look new again - without any paint runs or any chance of product failure (cracking, peeling, blistering, alagatoring,etc..). It will fade just like any paint or the original shudder - fading is characteristic of any dark pigment in the sun.

I can teach you how they have to be prepared and I will come coat all 500 for $15 PER. You charge $25 for cleaning (will not take any extra time if done while cleaning the building) and selling the job. We both laugh all the way to the bank, a true Win - Win.

If you have an interest in using Restora on your own I know someone who may still have some to retail (I'm keeping what I have - for this exact type of situation). Also, I can tell you how to use it.

Good luck

BTW - why replace them? the new ones will fad just like the old ones. Th only reason I could see to replace them is if you could get the new ones for less than the labor and material to recoat the old. Also, don't forget to add in the cost to dispose of the old, not to mention the impact on our landfills.

Flood-Restora is an excellent product. I only got a chance to use it on one job, but was very pleased with the results. Tim, if you want to share who may still have some, please feel free to pm me the info. Thanks.