Sign in to follow this  
svp07

Runoff vs. Pool water?

Question

In the surounding towns here in northern jersey there are people all the time draining their pools right into the gutter which then goes into the sewer system. How are they allowed to do this and should I be concerned with my own run off? Aren't the chems about the same if not worse in the pool water.

5 answers to this question

Are you sure it goes from the gutter to the sewer?

Seems strange as one goes directly into the waterways of the USA, lakes, streams etc.

Sewers go into waste water treatment plants.

I know more and more cities are requiring permits to drain pools and limit how many gallons per hour or day can be allowed out and it must go into the sewer, not the storm drains.

I would suggest you call your local water department and inquire.

Goes right where the rain goes.

The that would be the Storm Drain. In my City you need to pull a permit for draining a pool and the basic requirements are this...

chlorine level below 1ppm(which basically means no chlorinating for a week or so)

Done between the hours of 8:00 PM and 6:00 AM

Why this is leagl I do not know, but those are the rules.

Up North in Contra Costa County, they require that it be drained through the Sanitary sewer, at no more than 20 gpm.

Talk to your local water dept and see what they have to say in regards to pools. As far as your runoff, with or without chemicals you are supposed to be recovering it. Some areas do not enforce and so nobody worries about it. Does not mean it is right, or okay, just means that is what is going on.

I asked the Virginia Dept of Environmental Quality (DEQ) about chlorine/bleach and house washing. Their answer was that given the small quantities involved, they had no problem, especially since 99+% stays on the customers' property.

P.S. No, I didn't get that in writing, but I do have the name of the person I spoke with.

It is now actually against the law for the fire department to flow hydrants except in an emergency! As kids I remember the fire department coming through the neighborhood and all the kids playing in the water as they ran each hydrant for 5-10 minutes. It was safe for the kids but not the fish...go figure!