Sign in to follow this  
PressurePros

What is a housewash? An opinion.

Question

What commands a higher price for for a housewash? Much of it is in the customer service and professionalism of the contractor. Good refferals and customer satisfaction also play a role, as does insurance, training, schooling and experience. I have been asked what my process to clean is. I will outline it and do not infer in any way that what others do is wrong. Nothing I do is revelational or will set this industry on its ears. In fact, what I don't know about this business could probably fill a set of encyclopedias.

This example is 3500 sq foot house, 3 stories, gables, a ton of windows, expensive shrubbery 4 levels deep. On this house the chimney is badly soiled and covered in stucco. The house also has a stone front that is milky white from efflorescence and siding with rusty nail streaking.

I outlined the sales process in the thread on residential pricing. A typical cleaning goes like this. We arrive at the customer's house and helper begins setup. Before photos are taken. I meet with the customer and re-outline what we are going to be doing. I walk the perimeter with the customer and remove all screens and make sure windows are sealed tight. I recheck the integrity of the siding and look for cracks where water can enter the property. Landscaping is covered as opposed to merely wetting down. I have had a couple times where on 90 degree days with no rain for the last two weeks that plants have browned or spotted from the bleach concentration. Diversionary berms and reclaimation equipment are setup if neccessary (in this case they are).

The first thing tackled is that chimney. Strap on the saftey gear and climb the ladder with the pumpup sprayer . A hotter chemical application and a bit of pressure are used to bring it back to a nice bright beige.

Yes, I do use an X-Jet for chemical application but rarely wide open. The bottom half of the house gets application of house cleaning solution which in my case includes surfactant, chlorine, and mild caustic. An extension wand with the close range hardware in place is then used to apply chemicals to top of house. I always apply chemical straight on (perpindicular to siding) as I have had nightmare rinsing situations where cleaner emulsified what was under siding and ran for hours after cleaning. Chemical is applied to two sides of house. While dwelling, an aluminum brightener is applied to screens and they are cleaned. Meanwhile assistant is scrubbing gutters and window casements. Yes I use special chemical on the gutters and yes, they always require a degree of agitation by brush. After the house is thoroughly rinsed (in the same manner as chemical application except with a large nozzle) the first stage is then neutralized with oxallic acid to remove the rust stains. On this particular house I use Aldon's efflorescence treatment on the stone front. I give the artillery fungus on the back wall my best effort and it comes off about 25%.

The heat is turned up, hoses are re-routed to make sure they aren't on the grass and the small front porch and walkway I threw in for no charge are cleaned. While my helper is rinsing the walkway and cleaning any residual chemical from the driveway, I am visually inspecting the property for runs, drips or errors. Total time thus far, 5 hours at a pleasant pace.

More pictures, more chit chat with homeowner and now he decides he does want the driveway and pool area cleaned. ( I tried to convince him this was the way to go when I sold the job, but you know how homeowner's can be) Good thing I don't have to rush off to another job. The surface cleaner comes out because now we are talking 2000 square feet of concrete to clean and that driveway has some serious oil stains. Lots of effort, some Portland cement and it looks new again.

Owner cannot stop shaking my hand and commenting. His house hasn't looked like this since the 70's when it was built he keeps telling me. He tips me a hundred and thanks me for my attention to detail. Contractor's just don't give that old school effort anymore he tells me. Please feel free to give my name to anyone as a reference, do you have any business cards I can pass out at work? We part as friends, both smiling and I pat the check in my pocket and wish every day was one like this.

2 answers to this question

House cleaning was 780. I only charged him a hundred for the concrete work because we were already there. With tip I walked away with almost a grand. Pull up time to leaving about eight and a half hours. Just a note, when I leave a residential property, every window is gleaming, there is not a a leaf or piece of debris on the driveway, all mulch is strightened and where it should be, gutters are free flowing and everything I moved or removed is put back. By the time we get to reeling the hoses the house has dried enough that I can also be sure there will be no runs.