Sign in to follow this  
EmpirePW

Looking for a hot box.

Ok from all the boards I have read I have decided that a hot water unit is totally necessary. So I need advice from everyone on what type of hot water units would be best for me to get. I run a 2600 psi/2.5 gpm cold water machine and am thinking about getting a hot box that I can use with my unit. What type of hot box is the best kerosine or diesel? What type of power source do I need to run one of these? Am I going to need new pressure washing hose because my water will be heated now? Will I need to by a new gun for the hot water? I have never used hot water before so I am completely clueless on the requirements for using it. I need to price all the equipment I need to set up a hot water unit so that I can present it to my loan officer and some outside investors that are thinking about backing me up in my venture to professional pressure washing. I don't know what else I need to know but anything you want to tell me will probably help me. Thank you.

Matthew,

I agree with Robert. Before investing in a hot box, I would consider a larger GPM P/W (minimum of 4 PGM, preferrably higher).

You don't need hot water for washing houses, decks and residential driveways.

If you plan on washing commercial concrete, then you also need a surface cleaner to be competitive. In order to run a surface cleaner, you need that larger GPM P/W.

If the difference in price between one that will "just work" and one that will accomodate a larger machine, go with the one to work with a larger machine in the event that you will upgrade to a larger machine in the near future. Check fuel prices in your area of convenience and get the machine that will give you a good savings over a reasonable amount of time.

I have considered a bigger machine and in the future I will invest in it. The hot water is my main priority first. I have a surface cleaner that I have equiped with 1.5 tips so it works well with my machine (I have larger tips also for when I have a larger unit that needs them) and the gpm, pressure, and cold water have been doing the job just fine. I mostly clean loading docks and dumpster pads and I know that hot water will only improve my final product. When I do invest in my heater I will get one that works with my machine but is compatible with a bigger one. I know 2.5 gpm isn't much but I like to think of it as a learning tool. If I can do it with 2.5 I will rock at 4 or 5 gpm. I have to start within my means though. Is there any other useful advice out there?

Another thing to consider with a hot box is that if you are only putting 2.5 gpm through it and the hot box is rated for higher you will heat the water too much. If the hot box is meant to heat at 5 gpm and you only put half that much water through it, it will boil it and can cause things to burst. You would have to make sure to reduce the fuel tips in the burner. The comparison would be to get a pot and put it on the stove. Pour 5 cups of water in it and see how long it takes to boil. Then dump that out and put in only 2.5 cups and see how long it takes to boil. With the same heat setting you will see the 2.5 cups boil much faster. You would have to reduce heat to get it to boil in the same amount of time as the 5 cups. Same would go for the hot box. For probably 90% of what you will be washing doubling your gpm will be more important then hot water. That is if you had to make a choice between the two. I know some people swear by hot water but I only turn mine on less then 2% of the time. I use 5.2 gpm and good chems and that works in most all cases. I only use hot water for degreasing, concrete, and really stubborn stains.

I only use hot water for degreasing, concrete, and really stubborn stains.

Which is the market I am shooting for.

PS I see you are from Holland Michigan, my sister and her boyfriend are moving there in a month and he is really interested in getting into what I am doing. You wouldn't be looking to hire any help would you?

Matthew,

You have been given some really good advice, but are you listening? I would not expect a banker to give you the nod with that machine.

I don't doubt you give it your best but you don't have the equiptment to compete. Do you realize that a 4.0 gpm machine puts out 63.5% more volume and a 5.0 gpm machine puts out 100% more volume!

Your machine will not hold up to daily use.

Please do yourself a favor and wait until you can afford a better p.w. Forget the hot box at this time. Get a larger cold machine and use professional chemicals.

Ok deal... New PW it is... I found a 4gpm/3700psi machine with adjustable psi that I am going to get... now considering I will have a new machine what info can I get about the water heater?

Good choice! Next you need to buy the pressure washer that will work with the hot box you will buy in the future. If you decide to go with an oil burner your options are 12 volt or 115 volt models. If you decide on the 12 volt buy a pressure washer with a 20 amp charging circuit and enough room to mount a larger battery to keep up with the need of the burner. The 115 volt will require a generator.