Sign in to follow this  
taizentek

cleaning/restaining ipe

Two falls ago I completely stripped/brightened my ipe deck and then stained with wood tux. It came out beautiful but still didn't last more than 6-8 mos. I never had a chance to lightly strip/clean it last year where I had plannned on doing that and giving it another coat of stain. Now the stain has pretty much completely failed, even on the vertical surfaces.

My question is: Do I start from scratch again? I have plenty of woodtux leftover so I don't think I will be buying anything new. Do I need to completely strip/brighten/sand again. Or will I be able to get away with a lighter cleaning and then apply stain? Also, I've seen in the contractor posts that some use stright Oxalic acid on the IPe and some use a citric blend. And finally, what kind of stripper--sodium percarbonate or sodium hydroxide. I will probably be shopping at the sealer store again so preferably a product they carry.

Thanks, Mike

Strip with a light sodium hydroxide based wood stripper, brighten with oxalic acid at 6 - 8 oz. /gal. Rinse very well. Allow the ipe' to dry. Reapply WoodTux without overapplying.

Thanks Rick. I'm just curious if you think I will definitely need to go with Sodium Hydroxide as opposed to percarbonate. If so, I guess I will go with the defy wood stripper and defy brightener.

Thanks again,

Mike