Sign in to follow this  
JFife

painting deck

Question

hey experts---

What would you do about this.....bidding a large, very nice deck. Had two coats of Cuprinol on it about 2-3 yrs ago, applied very heavy so that it looks like a solid color stain. All of the verticals are in great shape, and are an Indian Red color. Floor isn't bad, but is wearing.

Now, the customer wants to take all of the veritcals to white, and strip the floor and stain it transparent. My deal is, I don't really want to strip the entire deck, because of the amount of work involved and due to the fact that it is going to get painted. Paint store said that even though the stain looked solid, it still needed to be stripped. So.....if I am forced to do that (strip a semi-solid finish), three coats of white solid, protect the floor, then stain the floor......geez, I'm looking at a 5-6K job (deck is large, screened porch, all two story, trellis, and the underside is stained.........ok, maybe even 7K)

Anyone have any tips about whether or not a solid can go on top of a semi?? What would you guys do???

jon

11 answers to this question

I would strip it just in case your paint might peel and crack over time because of the old semi under it.

I'm not a painter tho so that's my nickel's worth.

Sounds like alot of work ahead for you good luck Jon.

If the job is that big have her pay you to do a sample on the spindles. This will tell you and her if it can be done correctly and to try different methods. I am starting to charge for difficult strip jobs. I was at a test spot for 2 hours the other day.

The more I go to paint stores the less I think they know unless it 's on the interior of the house,

Jon,

If I was doing the deck I would probally strip the whole deck. You dont know what was there before the last finish and if it was applied correctly. I would also make sure the customers really wants solid white for the handrails. Yes it looks great but once you go with a soild color its very hard to remove it later if she is unhappy with it.

What product do you plan on using for the solid color?

A solid latex can successfully be applied over an old oil based semi-trans. I've done it many times before without a problem. You do however have to do an excellent job cleaning the railing and removing any stain that may be cracking or peeling. The floor should not be a problem to strip and prepare for a new coat of semitrans.

Actually, the two toned look is becoming very popular in many upscale home areas. Just make sure to price accordingly, because they take a lot of time....at least twice what a typical job would take.

Feel free to phone me if you'd like.

I agree with Tony.

The only caution I would add is that most likely, (and in my opinion) the life of the white will be cut in about half when you apply it on top of another finish.

This is one of several 2-tones we've done this year.

post-138-137772137836_thumb.jpg

guys,

thanks for the responses. I'm going to submit the bid tonight, so it should be interesting.

Fired,

Not sure yet on the solid, I usually use Cabot's but don't like the store that I have to buy it from. I may try benmoore or Glidden, or even Olympic. I did a few solids w/ Olympic a few yrs. ago, and are doing great.

I've used Olympic and WeatherBeater solid with great success. I've got some that I see that are going on three years old with no noticable problems on the solid stained area. Of course the floors need to be redone every two years, but the railings hold up fine.

Truth is, and it may sound bad, but I really don't care if the solid on the railings holds up beyond say four years. I don't think many homeowners really expect that they should last more than that. By that point if they need recoating, they add to my revenue stream....lol!

Now if the solid failed in a year or two, now that's bad, and I would be disappointed too.

Good luck Jon.

has anyone got any tips on painting the spindles where they join the top handrail.....just did a interior one and found it difficult...paul.

Very carefully!:hmmm: I think?

Paul,

Use a small brush and "push" the bristles to the edge of the spindle, have a painter show you how to cut a real tight edge, and you'll be good.

Bill,

that probably would not be an option on this deck. I would guess this deck cost somewhere in the neighborhood of 30-40K, and that is treated wood. It was built by Archadeck, a building franchise that does really quality work.

Haven't heard back from the people yet, don't really expect to ($6850). I bid the job to spray 3 coats of white solid on all the rails and underneath. Next, I would brush on paint stripper to the floor and rinse off. Doing this step after the painting saved me needing to cover up. Once stripped, I would apply two coats of Sikkens DEK to the floor. Also, the screened porch would have the ceiling stripped totally. It has a tongue-and-groove ceiling, which would also be stained. The 4x6 crossmembers would be painted white.

Big job.