Sign in to follow this  
Andy Hinson

Using bleach to clean wood

Question

I know I'm fixin to stank things up. But, just want to converse not condem.

I had a pt deck to clean. First time in 20 years it had been cleaned. I provided two prices. One for a bleach solution one time only process and a two step process. Tried for a got the two step process

I used 8 oz of F18 per gallon and downstreamed waited and cleaned. Then 8oz oxalic and a rinse.

The next day I was not happy. I DS'ed 16oz per gallon caustic soda and 16oz per gallon of ox. This process brought more money and more work. Did not seem to be any easier. Maybe I should have mixed stronger the first time. I cleaned the steps to lake with bleach and they cleaned up well. I want to properly clean wood but must offer a lower priced process to compete with others.

3 answers to this question

I used 8 oz of F18 per gallon and downstreamed waited and cleaned. Then 8oz oxalic and a rinse.

The next day I was not happy. I DS'ed 16oz per gallon caustic soda and 16oz per gallon of ox. This process brought more money and more work. Did not seem to be any easier. Maybe I should have mixed stronger the first time. .

What is your downstream ratio?

What was your dwell time?

What test(s) did you do to determine if anything was on the deck besides mildew/algae?

Some times, previous attempts to clean a deck were not complete and the applicator failed to ensure the wood was clean and applied the sealant anyway thereby dragging the stains of whatever was present even deeper into the wood and practically locking them in.

Rod!~