Sign in to follow this  
Doug Dahlke

Speed

Question

I have been doing more decks this year and need to find ways to get them done more quickly. I stripped one last Saturday that took me 5 hours and we have spent 12 hours sanding on it. I also rebuilt the 2" x 2" gate because even after 2 attempts at stripping it I figured it would be faster to replace the wood than try to get the remaining stain off. I did a test on it when I bid it so I knew the current stain was oil and most of the deck stripped fairly well. Some areas still have a lot of stain and we will be sanding again tomorrow.

Applying the stain is less of a speed issue as stripping and sanding. I use a pump up to apply the stripper and nuetralizer. I usually apply the stripper in sections for a larger deck and nuetralize all of it when I am done. Just seems like it is taking too long. Any advice from the experts?

10 answers to this question

Doug,

Initial thoughts....not enough dwell time, wrong stripper for finish you are removing....something like that. Not all finishes can be removed with the same stripper, and dwell time makes ALL the difference. What finish are you stripping? If you don't know ask the homeowner what is on the deck. What stripper did you use? What strength? Boosted or not? How long did it dwell? Did you test a vertical surface before you started washing?

Sanding is a pain as a way to strip, it is really more of a finishing step, unless you are removing raised grain from old washes as a service, which should be paid for IMO.

Beth

Thanks for the response. I usually ask the HO if they know what is on the deck. In this case I didn't I just did a test to see if it was oil or acrylic. Do you use different strippers for different oils?

I have been using Rip It mixed at 8 oz per gallon and let dwell 15 minutes. I have never boosted a stripper. Is that a step you usually take? Did not test a vertical first and those sections are the most problematic. Dwell time on verticals is a problem for me. I read a post the other day about a thickener that helps with cling on verticals. Is that something you use and does it keep the stripper wet longer?

Depending on the age of the oil, it might be a hybrid. You may also have multiple years of things, or multiple coats. On your rails system is the best place to test. all products last longest vertically, so you should always test there.

Apply the stripper first to the rails, reapply as needed keeping it wet with more product. We use HD-80, and occasionally boost it with a product we get from ACR. You will most likely be looking for one of two reactions on the finish, it either turns a milky or opaque look, or the wood turns black. The black wood is more a sign the wood was bare, the other there is a finish the bond is breaking on. Once the rails have had time to dwell, then apply to the floor and other horizontals, steps, rail caps, tops of benches, etc...

Take the tip of the sprayer and scratch at the rails in the area that was MOST intact. When that is ready, THEN wash. Don't go by the floor, it will always be ready to wash before the rails are.

Re-apply the stripper to keep it wet, never allow it to dry because it becomes inactive.

Hope this helps.

Beth

I am more of a novice when doing decks and I do not do many. I have done a few decks this season where I put my chemicals in a 5 gallon bucket and after wetting the deck well I apply the strippers with a green soft bristle truck brush. I find this to be faster then a pump up and more of the stripper and britener hits the wood. All I can say is it works better for me.

Good luck.

Doug,

Do NOT pre-wet the deck. It only dilutes the stripper. You could apply the stripper with a brush, but a sprayer is a more even application with less waste in my opinion.

Beth

p.s. Bosully - please go to SETTINGS to fill in your signature. Thanks ! :)

I agree You need a lot of dwell time on bad decks. And that is hard when you are busy.

Well, let's look at the lesson there. Is it harder to give it the right dwell time the first time, or to spend three times that long sanding? Each job should be bid to cover the costs associated with time, and each job should be the focus outside of any other while you are on that property. Just my thoughts on excellence.

Beth

We finished that deck yesterday. Total time sanding 16 man hours. It is at a rental house. The owner has not seen it yet but the people living in the house were happy with it. I need to take a look at my bidding and stripping procedures. I did test to see if what was on the deck was oil. Some of the vertical surfaces stripped very well. Others not so well. I have several other decks coming up but none of them were previously stained. Just a cleaning for those and then staining.

I hate surprise decks. And every now and then, we all get one. Rod always carries a booster to bump up the stripper just in case he has a problem deck. Even then....sometime you end up with lots of prep.

Beth