Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

Everyone is so PollyAnna

Question

Why do homeowners think they are the center of my universe? I mean they want to be scheduled for an exact date, for an exact time, 3 weeks out. And get all tiddly if don't fall perfectly within their schedule. This is setting a dangerous precedence - imagine updating dozens upon dozens of homeowners everytime your schedule gets updated?

I had this guy put me off for a couple of weeks for so and so reason - and then wanted me to come by today because he has bark mulch being installed tomorrow and is worried about bark mulch getting bleached out. Why can't I just tell these people that I'll be around the week of so and so and I'll leave an invoice when I am done?

4 answers to this question

My response is usually..."If you find a pwer that can come on 1 days notice - this time of year - he's likely not: a) very good b) been in business very long c) worth spending your money on!" Of course this is after I've told them 5 weeks before I can get to their house.

Sometimes you have to wonder if people think we all sit eagerly by the phone all day just waiting for someone to call. I don't usually provide a firm date. I tell them sometime within 10 days, 15 days whatever and that I will call the day before I come out. Only had one cancellation so far this year.