Sign in to follow this  
Outlaw

Fence Cleaning

Question

I have a bid on a brand new fence today, the guy already knows he wants me to use Dark Red ready seal as I did his deck last year, my question is, with the fence being brand new (its been up 3 or so weeks) what is the best way/method of prepping it, would it be the same as an old nasty fence.

Gav

12 answers to this question

What type of wood is it?

For PTW:

I would clean with percarb., brighten and remove millglaze with oxalic.

Remove mill marks (if any). Make sure the moisture is at 12% or less before you stain.

Outlaw

Just do a light cleaning on the fence should be fine. I use light bleach and soap/rinse then now a light Ox acid to brighten it up.

Mostly the treated pine there is mildew and mud on rot boards, 2X4's and post.The cleaning of the new pickets will help the sealant soak in better.

I was just in Magnolia the other day looking at a job in High Meadow Ranch.

You do a lot of staining up in Magnolia?

Thanks Guys,

Hey Seymore, you were right opposite the road from me, I do a lot of house cleaning around this area but not a lot of staining, there's a lot of new sub divisions around here and more going up, the little bit of staining I do seems to be in the older sub divisions.

Gav

Yeah i'm in Rock Creek sub. also on Grant and Spring Cypress we have all the fences in the subdivision to stain as the houses go up.If you need some work we have plenty give me a call that's my cell in my signature.

ok , this fence has Cedar pickets and of course the rest is PT, there is aprox 1300 ft @ 8 ft high, does the cedar make much of a difference as far as cleaning and how does Ready Seal do with Cedar?

Gav

Gav

That's 1300 Lft or Sqft?

You should get a better sqft per gallon# for cedar versus PT pickets and look better too. Lot less waste on the PT pickets

I've never sprayed RS but the Gray Away i use i get 150-175sqft per gal. most of the time