Sign in to follow this  
PressurePros

Interesting link

Question

I came acrossed this link. Plug in some numbers and see how close the estimator comes to what you would bid. I found it interesting that when you plug in powerwashing the deck for prep it adds very little to the estimate.

http://www.contractors.com/cost_estimator/deck_porch_and_fence_painting.html

6 answers to this question

Mine came out just under half the cost. I don't think this calculator is very accurate at all. Does not factor in Detailing, ie, defurring and nail resetting and other stuff. I plugged in a 10x12, 35 lft, and 13 steps. Price 368.00 rediculous.

Reed

Mine was also off by about 1/2. I put in a 19 x 19 with 35lft (one I just finished) and it gave me $400. I made almost twice as much as that and didn't even charge my highest price. More like my midrange price. Besides, my prices vary a bit depending on what neighborhood I'm in so I could never use something like that. Trial and error is the best method for knowing what YOUR market will bare. At least for me.

That 10x12 for $368. is about $1.11 sq. for the flats. Not great but not bad...I've done then for less for a simple clean/neut/stain. Maybe I'm being defensive but I'm still in the $1.15-1.35 range. How many hours would you estimate for a 10x12 deck??

When people post that they HAVE to be making $125.-200. mn/hr. just to be worth doing, I think they must be joking. Other trades..carpenters,electricians,plumbers, car mechanics etc. are all in the $55.-75./hr. range and making money hand over fist. So I'm just wondering how many are REALLY making these rates...in the busy season..now..if you go out with 1 helper and work 6 ten hr days ..are you grossing 15-24k a week?...thats with you and 1 helper....are these fish stories?....at least I hope they're fish stories..if not we will be phased out in about 7 yrs. in favor of composites. Maybe I'm misunderstanding how everyone figures hrs.

I think that by the time you figure in estimate time, travel time, chems, gasoline and helper pay (not to mention insurance, workmans comp, accountant, etc.) most of us are in that area ($55 - $75). And actual hours "working" verses getting the job, making that trip for the stain or pads or whatever else you need can vary greatly depending on your individual organizational skills. You "make" money by stocking up on materials in quantity, buying time saving equipment & having your proceedures streamlined. As well as doing a good job because if you have to go back (for any reason).....it's going to come out of your pocket and your hourly continues to go down. At $1.15 I wouldn't be able to survive. When I started, I kept raising my prices until the market stopped biting and then I still found that I had to be flexible depending on what neiborhood I was in. As well, if I'm doing a two-tone my price would be as high as $3.00 per square.

I just did a 20x16 floor and it came up with $174. That is 54 cents a square foot. I think I will stick to my own way of estimating. I would charge at least $400 for a 320 square foot deck without a railing and no steps.

Brian, plugging in size you just mentioned (you have to choose scrape loose paint and powerwash as the labor in stripping/neutralizing is more intensive then just running a powerwasher over the surface) and then plugging in 52 linear feet of railing and four steps I got $577.00. I would get about $750 for this size deck.