Sign in to follow this  

How do you guy's keep Algae from growing in your holding tanks?

I have had to remove my tank from the trailer and empty it twice now, due to algae growing in it with in 2 days of sitting.

I wouldn't think bleach would be a good idea, since it's an acid and would be going through the pump.

I have a 225 gal tank, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by CBhaydare

SH is a bleach but stronger than what you can buy in the stores. I've never had a problem algae growing in my fresh water tank but if I did I would throw a little bleach in it. I bet that would solve your problem. How often is your tank used?

SH is a bleach but stronger than what you can buy in the stores. I've never had a problem algae growing in my fresh water tank but if I did I would throw a little bleach in it. I bet that would solve your problem. How often is your tank used?

Right, I knew the stuff most of you use is like 12.5%, and store bought is around 6%?

It just depends on the jobs I have, I'm just starting out so not many, may use it twice a week.

I don't leave it full though, It may have 60 gallons in it when it is sitting.

I don't think you'll be able to get six percent at a store, I believe it's much lower than that. Most people here use 12.5 or 15. Personally, I can only buy 15 percent in my area so I just cut it down a little more with water.

If you are not using your fresh water too often then it might be best to tap off the customers water. I do this all the time and the customers don't really care. I use my fresh tank mostly when doing roofs to clean out the pump and hoses or when doing small detail jobs (signs, etc) where fresh water is too much trouble to hook up to.