Sign in to follow this  
rwhat

Homeowner Problem

I have had a problem with a homeowner as I did a house wash for them and some areas on the gutter and fascia board has lost paint and is showing bare metal. I use as soft scrub method on the gutters and fascia boards with a truck washing brush. Soft bristled. I had three contractors comeout and take a look at it and they say it is nothing the wash did that it is a paint failure. It only happened in the front, and we did the same method around the entire house with low pressure and soft scrubbing. The homeowner called the people the installed the siding and the custom home builder, they stated it was the power washing companies fault. They also said it would take a chemist to really say if it was my fault. We used simple green downstreamed with bleach. Bleach was at a 3% at end of gun to house. Simple Green is a non-corrosive cleaner as stated by the MSDS sheet, I told the homeowners it does not take a chemist to prove this, but an MSDS sheet. They wanted me to replace the problems and as it states in my estimates that customers sign we are not responsible for manufacturers defect. I told them I would meet them half way on the price but they declined. I spoke to my lawyer and he stated that if I have written proof and MSDS sheet of material to let it go and let the homeowners do what they have to do. They have since reported me to the BBB and this is my first complaint and or problem I have had in the 5 yrs I been in business. I am stumped on what to do now and looking for any suggestions and if anyone else has ever had this problem. Please help as I have done hundreds of homes and never seen this.

You downstreamed degreaser on a house. Repaint it or pay to have it painted. You might need a better lawyer. If you mess up someone's property, apologize, fix it and move on.

How old is the gutters? I think you are fine with the Simple Green BUT Bleach is definitely corrosive and 3% would be what I would consider hot or a high percentage. That BBB complaint is going to cost you more in lost business than repainting even if it wasn't your fault.