Sign in to follow this  
svp07

What would you charge?

Question

Here's the situation...

You are asked to prepare a house to be painted. The siding is cedar shingles with the rough side out; paint is peeling moderately to sever in some areas.

My procedure is to use about 2000 psi to remove as much loose paint as possible, about 80% I tell them, and then wash the house with my house wash mix.

Anyone want to give a price/linear foot?

6 answers to this question

I have a funny feeling I am going to get burned on a job I just took for painting two huge barns barn-red. I have never painted before, but it will be a good learning experience. I told him 30 bucks an hour and he provides the paint, so I can't get burned too bad, especially if other work is slow. This is because I have no idea of the time it will take, so hourly works for me. In regards to price per square footage, my limited research has come up with .70-.80 cents a square not including materials. Any painters feel free to jump in right about now.... Nick

I must be a cheap ... I painted a room for one of my janitorial customers last year. Approximately 2400 sq. feet of wall space (8 foot ceilings, four walls) for $550 and they paid for supplies. Also included about 560 linear feet of trim (ceiling and floor) and about a dozen windows.

Only took me about 12 hours to do it by hand and with a roller, so it wasn't a total loss. I think that price was what she was quoted by a few painters, but they never could come up with a scheduled time that worked for everyone involved.

To clarify, this was not a post about painting anything. This was a post about preparing a surface to be painted and how much you might charge (per ln. ft.) to remove the loose paint.

I am no painter, hate it with a passion. But, I have read many posts on several bbs saying that using TSP should be used for paint prep. It is supposed to chemically rough up the surface when it is being cleaned. If I am wrong, someone w/ more experience chime in & correct me.

TSP is the recommended additive to house prep mix, just watch out around glass as it will etch it (TSP is partially converted to sodium hydroxide when mixed with water). Keeping the pH factor in mind when using TSP, I wonder if you should follow up with a weak acid mix? Perhaps some wood-care blokes can chime in as to the care required when blasting cedar (pressure problems).

As for the pricing, why not do about a 25 sq. foot area (5 x 5) and see 1) how effective you are at removing the paint and 2) how long it takes you. I've had situations where I can rub my hand over peeling paint and it flakes off with no problem, but when turn on the water and try to pressure was it off it becomes more difficult...the paint sticks to the surface because of the water. Turned out it would have been *easier* to take the paint off with a stiff brush followed by a rinse to remove the excess dust then a few good coats of paint (after water has dried).