Sign in to follow this  
PetersonDecks

Cabot over Behr

Question

Quoted out a job the other day with a solid acrylic Behr stain on, Stain appeared to hold on deck floor and spindles. i talked to customer and he said most of Behr solid will peel off floor after every Minnesota weather. Whenever i have seen a solid deck we usually wash,little sanding and apply a solid Cabot on top which turns out nice. Hate doing solids but feel like it is better than attempting to strip an acrylic solid. anyways, do i attempt to strip behr solid or can i apply solid Cabot over existing stain. Thanks for your time,

3 answers to this question

-not enough time to respond this a.m.-

There's some questions I need to ask first anyway.

How low to the ground is the deck?

Does it have any obstructions of airflow beneath it?

Is the cabot solid going to be an oil or acrylic/latex?

How old is the deck and what condition are the floor boards?

Is there a history of the prep available? (washed with bleach etc)

Rod!~

deck is 7-8 feet off the ground, no obstructions of airflow under deck, cabot solid will be acrylic, deck appears to be 5-6 years old, appears to be in very good condition, HO did previous stain therefore i am assuming no washing with bleach and prepping was minimal. thanks

One last question: Is the customer using salt on their deck to get rid of ice and snow?

Otherwise, I think they will have the same problem with cabots or any other solid acrylic.

Oil based formula may work better but, you cannot apply over the existing solid acrylic which would require removal by stripping.

Rod!~