Sign in to follow this  
eric

di water

Question

have any on you guys made a rig that produces di water? Is this process removing ions or salts to help the water dry faster and not streak? Good for window cleaning (so I am told) .

Good question for a chemist

Thanks for the help!!

2 answers to this question

I have DI water on my trailer. I rent the tanks from Ionics. You can also retn them from Culligan.

The advantages to di are numerous for washing vehicles. IT does dry spot free, and windows are much easier to do. If you brush them well you do not need to do them at all, but that seldom happens.

There are some disadvantages to it as well. If you are using a Hot Water pressure washer it will cause crrosion in your coil. That means rust. It is pretty bad when you are washing a car and black stuff comes out of your pressure washer. That means you are spraying rust on the car, and it will dry on the car, and it will not come off with a regular wash job. It will also, eventually, cause your coil to fail, and you will need to buy a new one.

Another thing is that it causes hydrogen embrittlement in the pump head. It is something that will cause the pump head to fail as well. So figure that you will need a pump every two years, depending on your usage, and a coil every two years.

I have a hot water machine, but I have started just recently bypassing the coil when I use DI water. It makes things come out much better.

Scott Stone

Wow, that's good advice Scott, I didn't know that. Sure makes me think that DI water has it's place, but should be used sparingly and when absolutely necessary.