Sign in to follow this  
Gutter Squad

Tank draw with gear drives

Before next season, I am thinking about setting my 13HP Honda with a gearbox driven pump. Does anyone have a TS2021GR? They are sold on Dultmeier for under $700 and didn't know if anyone had any experience with them. Looks nice since it comes as the pump & gearbox in one. I own a CAT pump and do not want another. An old post talks about a gearbox and a Comet 5.5 gpm pump. Anyway... thoughts?

Second, the rural area I live in has a decent number of homes that have well based water supplies. My largest pump that I have normally used is a 4.8 gpm pump and it at times seems that it is being starved for water. With a gearbox pump, it appears I can easily draw from a tank from prior posts... what gal size should I get? 25, 50, 65? I really don't want to carry much water. Also, does it make sense to double feed a pump that is only 5.5 or 5.6 gal? I plan on plumbing it with PVC, not hoses.

Thanks

I would get a bigger tank if you run into a lot of wells. Bigger water tanks are better with a lot of jobs. But what do I know I think Cat pumps are the best.

Appreciate the input. I always hate posting something in a forum that has similar content to other threads - again appreciate getting it addressed specifically for what I had cooking my head!

Mathew, I will probably give you a call when I get closer to assembly (months away). Happy someone else actually has a TS2021GR or a reasonable facsimile (I think you meant that was what you have), there are a few threads that relate to gearboxes, but no one ever mentioned this model.

Do any of you have an opinion on float valves? The hudson looks nice... I have not ever assembled a float valve in a tank setup(except in a toilet, LOL). How are they used in relation to a smaller tank? I would assume they are mounted internally... but how? Would I be crazy to plump tight and not use a float? I can't imagine the pressure would go over the 125 PSI max input - especially through 1" PVC reduced to 1/2" PVC. I like the idea of a 50 gal tank. I used to have a 100 gal AG skid sprayer with a 9 gpm pump that I used for roof cleaning before abandoning that line of business.

Also - I do like the CAT pump that I have... I just don't want to lay out the money for another one! I'll probably sell the one I have her before too long. I am a long way from returning to this full time... I have downsized myself almost into oblivion and want to get back in gear - It looks like I will likely have to leave my corporate job in a year to finish college and want to be in decent shape with the business again before the 2012 season.