Sign in to follow this  
CCPC

Flood wood products

Question

I have a wood job coming up where the customer wants to and will provide the sealer which will be Flood. I do not know much about Flood, so I am seeking any input that anyone wants to offer up on this product. Wether that be from personal experience or hear say.

4 answers to this question

Flood CWF is junk. It sits on top of the wood kinda like Thompsons advanced, and makes a sheen. It starts to peel sometimes. I'm not sure how long it would last if applied by a professional, but from what I know and have heard from others CWF is not a good product. This is where you might be able to show what you know and recommend a superior product such as Readyseal, deckscapes or wood tux. I've used it once in my earlier days and will never use it again.

If the customer insists, it might make for a tactful "I told you so" moment next season when it starts to look terrible.

i use cwf almost on a daily basis and i dont think it is junk at all. 1st off it does not just sit on the surface, it soaks into the wood which is why i recommend it for older decks. 2nd, i have never seen cwf peel before unless it was applied over a different type of stain without being cleaned or stripped. if u r using an airless sprayer it is very easy to apply. just spray it on and it will have a cloudy look and you will see it just soaking into the wood. you dont even have to back role it but i would put 2 to 3 coats on the deck if u r spraying it on. it is the easiest product to use of any of the stains i have used. as far as how long it will last, i have seen the color last for 1 yr up to 3 yrs. i have talked to a few of the customers whos decks i did last year and they all said it looks as good as the day i did it but every now and then someone will call and say the color didnt last so i go over and put another quick coat on and they are happy. usually i get called back every 2 to 3 years to put another coat on so i give it a quick wash and apply it again.

We have personally used the Flood Spa N Deck line - it's a bit more expensive since it requires two separate coats (a clearish base coat then the tinted top coat) The finish is quite nice but the best quality is that you apply it IMMEDIATELY after washing the deck - no waiting until the next day or week or month because of weather. Flood sent us about a milliion brochures finally - would be glad to mail if you are interested. Here's a pic of the arbor that we stained with it (PLEASE DISREGARD THE GRASS - YES WE KILLED IT ON PURPOSE)

CCPC,

I am not here to bash any product. CWF is not considered to be a premium product. If you ask most of the "experts" you will find that it is not used or recommended. That should tell you something right there. As far a sealers go, CWF is not a penetrating sealer. It is not an easy product to maintain either. I am not as knowlegable with the new Flood Spa N' Deck product. I will be testing it myself in the next week to see how it holds up. I believe there are quite a few who are testing this product as well. It will be interesting to see the results over the next couple of years. Another word of advice would be to get up to speed on different products. Learn what is considered a quality coating and which ONE you are going to hang your hat on. If you are going to be the expert you should be recommending products to your customers and not them telling you what to put on. This of course is my opinion and if would like any help please feel free to contact me. Good luck with the deck.