Sign in to follow this  
sturgisjr

Solid Stains

Question

I have only been able to offer woodtux to my customers and the more I am in this field, the more I realize I may have to steer select customers toward a Solid Stain (as is the possible case with my current Hunter Green Behr deck) Can anyone tell me what the best Solid Stains are? I want to use Cabots and when using a solid stain, do you need to prime too? I prefer a 2 coat process, not a 3 coat (I work alone).

I have a deck to do in which I need to do the railings white. I would use a cabots white solid stain after priming and not an acrylic based paint? What about Deckscapes, I hear its a 2 coat process. I want to be able to give my customers the possibility of stripping the solids off later if they ever want to do something different and I want an easy product to be able to do this that is also very good in its durabilty too.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

12 answers to this question

Cabots has a few versions of Solid Stains and I am stumped with which one to use.

Solid Color Decking Stain (I think this is the one I want to use?)

O.V.T Solid Color Stain

PRO. V.T. Professional Solid Color Stain

Which would give me the ability to strip easier if customer ever wanted to change the look later? Before application of a Solid Color Stain, I should prime with Cabots Problem Solver Primer?

What about Cabots The Finish? How does that compare to the Solid Color Decking Stain?

How good are the Semi-Solids from Cabot? Would this work on my Behr deck Im working on if all the green doesnt come out? Just curious.

I typically use Olympic acrylic latex solid stain for my solid stain applications. It has performed very well.

My thought process is that if I apply any solid stain, then that's the way it will always have to be. I would never suggest to a customer that in the future the solid can be removed and revert back to semi transparent....it's just too iffy.

I've used the sherwin williams waterborned solid deckscapes on several applications, and it covers very well in two coats, very easy to apply. I haven't tried cabot solids, but me and a helper put on about 50 gallons of deckscapes this summer with a brush and roller on an apartment complex's decks, so you could say I have some experience with it.

I would like to see a comparison between cabot's and deckscapes longevity sometime though for solids.

Cabots solid decking stain is what you want Provt and ovt are typically used for houses and only on vertical surfaces. Cabots oil based solid stain is self priming and a two coat application. The waterborne acrylic is also a two coat application but you would need to prime all bare wood first.

Hope this helps,

Herb Hewlett

Herb's Pressure Washing

P.S. Be prepared to pay upwards of $40 a gallon for Cabot's

If Cabots Solid Decking Stain is self-priming, that would mean whatever color is being used, I apply that color twice? That would mean I need to buy double of any color to be used? In the case of railings and spindles, you would follow the same methods? I prefer to offer oil-based stains and not water based. Water based stains ... I don't feel too confident. Does anyone share that preference?

How does this compare to using Problem Solver primer and then applying 2 top coats of "the Finish" from cabots? I beleive I read that this method is guaranteed to last up to 10 years??

The oil based solid stain from Cabot's is new so the jury is still out on the self priming. You are correct as you will need to apply double the amount of stain but no primer is needed for this product. You would need a primer with the water based acrylic stain however. This would figure heavily into your bid as it adds another step and another day to your job. Hope this helps.

Herb Hewlett

Herb's Pressure Washing

If you use the cabots I would use the problem solver primer and then the 2 coats of solid. Yes its more work. If you have a problem later and you did not follow the directions on the can to the T you are out of luck with any warranty with the company.

I also agree with Tony on not going back to a semi after using a solid. The work it takes to get the solid off is not worth it and the chances are you will never get it all off.

Herbie,

My point is you need to follow the directions on the can. Sure you can get away with not priming and get good results.

But if for some reason something happens like you get a bad batch of stain. The manufacture will look for some other reason not stand behind there warranty. If the can states to use a primer and you did not use one, then you look like an idiot to the customer and the manufacture walks away looking good still.

Dale,

Sorry Dale. I should have said that the directions for the Cabot's Solid Oil Based decking stain do not include having to prime. You only need to prime with the acrylics.

Herb

Dale,

Sorry Dale. I should have said that the directions for the Cabot's Solid Oil Based decking stain do not include having to prime. You only need to prime with the acrylics.

Herb

No problem at all. No need to apologize either. I have not used the cabot for awhile now and I do remember that What I did use the can said to prime. But your good to go if they dont say it on the can.:angel:

I tried Duron's wood max a couple of days ago and it worked great. I think flood makes it, but it's a primer and stain in one. It covered a bright red deck with a medium brown(butter nut) in one coat. I was very happy and so was the customer. I couldn't imagine doing 2 coats. This deck was a ground level 144 sq ft deck and it took me 7 hours to stain.