Sign in to follow this  
Washed Up

Should I walk away?

Question

Hey guys: I was approached by a home owner who inquired about a house wash. I asked what type of siding he had & it is asbestos shingles. There are quit a few homes in my area that are like that. I personally have no asbestos training or certification contaning hazerdos materials. I am quit sure particles will become airborn. Should i respectfully decline this job ?

6 answers to this question

My 1st house has asbestos shingles, I was told as long as I do not sand them, it is fine to wash and paint.

If there is a coating of paint on them you are good to go, but be careful not to blow them off of the house.

MHO.

Solid state asbestos poses no danger; the danger is if it is friable, i.e. disturbed, broken, punctured in ways that can allow asbestos be released. Only power wash though, what some are calling soft washing (super gentle) ...never pressure wash.

If it is not dirty you can probably just paint over it; there are special paints and it is usually very absorbent.

I knew someone that had it and they just painted it and never told anyone. Asbestos is actually an awesome building material in many ways..

You might have some weird New York law about it though. That might be a concern...