Sign in to follow this  
diamondbar

What PSI for pre painting outside wall ?

Question

10 answers to this question

Hey Richard, please go ahead and click on "settings" on the top right of the page here and go in and "edit signature" This is the section that appears below your posts to include your name and company information.

When cleaning wood remember to be careful not to use to much pressure as this will damage the wooden surface. When we clean wood we turn our pressure washer all the way down and use a dual wand for better control of the water using a 40 degree tip and sometimes using a 25 degree tip when needed. Just remember to keep the wand away from the wood, we hold the wand about 1+' away so the pressure does not eat at the wood surface.

When removing paint with a pressure washer you only want to remove the paint that is flaked up, you don't have to remove all of it! The paint that is left behind just use a 5 in 1 scraper and scrap as needed to make the surface smooth. The the new paint will adhere just fine to the old paint as long as its clean and not chipped.

I hope this helps you. Also remember if its lead paint you will have to capture it and discard of it properly.

We have done several Painting jobs, before I started my own business I worked for family doing construction, Trust me when saying that the siding does need to be cleaned in some manner, pressure washing being the fastest. If the surface is not cleaned then the paint will not adhere and will fail. This is the reason that almost all painting companies offer pressure washing as part of there services

I too have done a lot of painting in my time, both interior and exterior.

Prep is 90% of the job, and yes, the surface does need to be clean, but I believe he was asking about pressure washing as a way to remove the paint not clean it.

With a p/w you will do more damage than good and force water into the grain of the wood and behind the siding.

So, if the siding is not 100% dry before you apply the paint it will soon fail.

The best way to remove old paint is to scrap then sand to feather out the edges

you can still clean the home using traditional soft wash, the paint prep should normally be left to the painter to scrape and sand as they see fit for the application of whatever product they use

why would you use a pressure washer to remove paint? you can use solvents. If your going to use pressure washer and maybe water, termites might live in your walls.

Huh? Read Post Number 3.

Prepping in advance for painters get rid of a lot of loose paint saving them a great deal of time so that they only need to edge sand and pick away at larger stronger spots of failure not removable via power washing. The cleaning is very much chemical based, and doesn't need all that much pressure and is similar to a house wash.