Sign in to follow this  
jeffex11

ZAR semi-transparent deck stain

Question

My Sherwin Williams wants me to try ZAR semi-transparent deck stain . anyone out there have experience with this product. It is similar in formulation ...waterborne oil base... to Olympic that I have used since 2005 with great success.

The reason I ask is I can get a better price with my SW discount and availability at my local SW store

6 answers to this question

No such thing as waterborne oil based. It is impossible to mix water and oil.

I have seen this before and it is a marketing gimic. It is either water or oil but not both.

Now to answer your question, no. You will find around here that supplies are about the only thing bought from SW with the exception of the deckscapes solid colors when doing a 2 tone effect.

I went to the store yesterday to see the stuff. The mgr. tried to tint it to a cedar color and it looked like puke! You could see the red flakes of iron oxide used to give it UV protection . I wondered it that would e effective as a clear seal with UV protection . I told him I'll pass on that product for now .

I'll stick to what I know works . They gave me a good price on Wolmans toner so I will try and sell that as well.

There are hybrid products out there that are oil & water. Flood has one - we had to put it on 5500 sq ft of ipe :( They encapsulate the oils in a water droplet so that the water is the original carrier.

Not saying that it's a good product - or bad. WE didn't like the application method or the result after 2 weeks application. Just sayin.