Sign in to follow this  
kleecker

Tired of cedar deck refinishing every year - have tried lots of products

Question

post-8063-137772375618_thumb.jpgAttached are pics of my deck one year after a total sand (floor sander) and application of Sikkens Cetol SRD semi-transparent. The SRD is a 1-coat application. Because it's wet on the deck, pics don't accurately reflect the amount of graying all throughout (i.e. the deck appears much grayer/ugly when dry).

Because it's cedar, I've been hesitant to apply an opaque stain, but actually thinking of it now, as stripping and cleaning (and/or sanding) and staining is getting very old.

Deck is in 100% shade, guessing not much airflow underneath, underneath is not stained (and too low to ground to do so now).

What I'm after is significantly longer time between re-application, even if it is at the expense of asthetics, if that's what it comes down to. I'm hesitant to apply another semi-transparent. Love what the wood looks like with clear, but that is a joke - don't even get a year out of them.

thanks,

Mark

post-8063-137772375702_thumb.jpg

post-8063-137772375794_thumb.jpg

post-8063-137772375873_thumb.jpg

post-8063-137772375954_thumb.jpg

Edited by kleecker

9 answers to this question

Cedar is like a sponge, a hard one at that, but the point is it compacts with walking and use. Since cedar is so soft, it doesn't hold onto hard finishes well.

A penetrating and moisturizing oil would serve you better.

Rod!~

Did you clean the deck at all with any wood cleaners before or after the sanding?

nope - what would that have done? I had a good 1/8"+ of wood removed, as the surface was leveled during sanding........Finished with 60 grit after a cutting pass with 40 grit.

Cedar is like a sponge, a hard one at that, but the point is it compacts with walking and use. Since cedar is so soft, it doesn't hold onto hard finishes well.

A penetrating and moisturizing oil would serve you better.

Rod!~

I was considering Ready Seal Deck Stain, or Woodrich Stain and Seal, or Woodrich Timber Oil Stain. Do all of these contain a penetrating/moisturizing oil?

On Ready Seal's site, you can only purchase "Ready Seal Stain and Sealer For Wood" - is this the same thing as their deck stain? I have a feeling not, but why wouldn't the manufacturer put all of their production up for sale, rather than only one or 2??? Have not found any shopping links for Ready Seal Stain, on Google.

Also, is there only one Wood-Tux formulation?

thanks,

Mark

Edited by kleecker

I don't do cedar but I would suspect that you may have had an issue with sawdust from taking so much off. Even blowing it off you probably still had some ground into the grain. And because you basically exposed brand new wood it may have benefited from allowing time (a few months) for the wood to age again and then doing a cleaning, pressure washing, and brightening treatment before putting the stain down

Also, is there only one Wood-Tux formulation?

thanks,

Mark

There are a few formulations but they are not what we use anymore so my help there is limited since the VOC reformulations of 2005 and later.

Armstrong stain was designed for redwood initially and cedar being very close in genome is a very good candidate for use.

Of the 3 you mentioned, Ready Seal is a moisturizing oil and helps keep cedar soft and as an oil, inhibits water penetration which is the 'sealer' portion it provides.

Rod!~