Sign in to follow this  
99monguse

How to clean used motor oil from driveway cement

I changed the oil in my car last night and as I was pouring the old dirty oil into a container with a funnel, the container fell over. I had cardboard underneath but the oil ran right off the cardboard onto the cement. I soaked up as much as possible and then dumper a gallon of Greased Lightening degreaser on it. The stain is about 2ftx2ft. I scubbed it with my stiff push brrom and tried a hose with no luck. I called a pressure-washing guy and he came out about 1 hr later. I thought he would have a hot-water unit but all he had a a cold water unit. He hosed off the degreaser I put on it and sprayed his own. He had some stuff in an aerasol can that was pretty potent smelling. He said, the instruction say, it's to be apllied on a non-water surface but he'd try it anyway. After letting it set for about 10 minutes he pressure washed it. I got lighter but didn't fully clean. He's coming back today, to try again with a different machine and since the payment won't be wet, maybe it'll come out more.

If this doean't work, what do you suggest? The driveway is only about 8 yrs old. Probably about a quart of really dirty 0w-30 full synthetic Castrol oil is what was spilled.

First use an absorber like Oil Dri or even sand or Tide. Let it sit a few days and sweep off. Then try a caustic based cleaner like greased lighting. Sometimes dirty oil will not completely come up but over time will fade.

First use an absorber like Oil Dri or even sand or Tide. Let it sit a few days and sweep off. Then try a caustic based cleaner like greased lighting. Sometimes dirty oil will not completely come up but over time will fade.

That sounds interesting..... Any photos?

I use Tide, brush in, pour more Tide, let sit a few days. Pour more Tide, brush in depending. Can usually get away with not pressure washing. This works well for non dirty oil on small stains. I've never tried this on dirty oil; just my own driveway.

Never change your oil in your driveway...lol

I just had a gallon on BT200 delivered a few days ago. I've read a lot of good things about it (pictures looked good too) so I thought I'd give it a shot. A regular customer called last week telling me he spilled oil and antifreeze on his driveway. We'll see how it works Monday morning.

PS it was about 65 dollars delivered by UPS.

I just had a gallon on BT200 delivered a few days ago. I've read a lot of good things about it (pictures looked good too) so I thought I'd give it a shot. A regular customer called last week telling me he spilled oil and antifreeze on his driveway. We'll see how it works Monday morning.

I was just thinking about ordering some also. Please let us know how it works if you could. Thanks

I use Tide, brush in, pour more Tide, let sit a few days. Pour more Tide, brush in depending. Can usually get away with not pressure washing. This works well for non dirty oil on small stains. I've never tried this on dirty oil; just my own driveway.

Why do Eskimos wash their clothes inTide? Because it's too cold outTide. Bahahahahaha!

If you had some I would try three different tests...2 on driveway...one at 4 days the one at one day on concrete. The other a little in a container with the bt2000 the other as a control to see how much it eats? Also find out how long it has sat there?

Other people report that they put this on for a little while then wash off with a caustic but I can't fathom how it have enough time to work unless it were Stephen King strength?

It is reported that Tide has enzymes and has a partnership with a local business here....