Sign in to follow this  
facework84

Several ?'s. Accessory selection, diluting chemicals, working with plants in the way

Question

I recently purchased a 3000psi 2.5gpm washer to do my 1500 sq ft, 2-story home and driveway. Upon using it for the first time, I spent close to two hours using it and didn't even get my house half done.

Firstly, I spent a good bit of time wrestling with the stock hose that came with the washer. It constantly wrapped back up around itself so it was pretty much useless. Not only that, but certain areas didn't even get very clean.

1) My first question is regarding downstreaming vs upstreaming. I have been reading on the difference on how they work, but I don't know how I tell which one I have? There is a tube coming from the bottom with a siphon on the other end that I put into my chemical solution.

2) My second question is, how do you calculate how much chemical you need to cover a certain amt of square feet? For example, lets say you need to cover 1000 sq ft of siding and 500 sq ft of driveway, how do you calculate how much you need? I used about a gallon of solution and didn't even do half of my house. I called my manufacturer and they said my washer mixes in 20:1 ratio. The back of the container says it covers 5000 sq ft.

3) Third, how do you wash around areas with plants in the way? The bottom of my house is brick, and in the front, there are plants/briars growing RIGHT UP against the brick. I need access to the brick to get at the moss growing on it. How do I do this without butchering the plants?

post-8113-137772377179_thumb.jpgpost-8113-137772377179_thumb.jpg

4) Choosing chemicals. Ok. So I've been reading a lot about chemicals. How do you decide what to use? There are so many out there. I see a lot of guys mix chlorine or bleach with various things. Should you just use a chemical the way it comes, or mix stuff with it? I know this can be dangerous.

Right now I have this stuff by a local company called Monster that I got from Northern Tool. I bought the "concrete cleaner" and the "house cleaner." Should I return it and get something else, as well as get an aftermarket downstreaming kit so I can use whatever I want without worrying about pump damage?

5) Accessory selection. I have been reading quite a bit about different nozzles, telescoping wands, brush attachments, etc. Frankly its a little overwhelming and has me confused as to what I need.

a) Telescoping wand vs x-jet/laddersaver/similar

I can get a ladder saver nozzle and an adjustable downstream chemical injector kit for a good bit less than the price of a good telescoping wand, and not worry about wrestling with the wand. However I would like to do my roof at some point as well. Which is better?

b) Turbo nozzle vs cheap surface cleaner. Home depot sells turbo nozzles for around $35 and they have a cheap 15" surface cleaner as well. the "ez cleaner". Do I need both? I have a driveway, a rear patio, and front porch with pressure treated railing around it

c) Brushes. Do I really need the kind that attaches to a pressure washer? Or can I just get the regular type? My siding has these black spots that didn't really come very clean, from my reading I think they are plant spore spots.

post-8113-137772377172_thumb.jpg

2 answers to this question

If you do a search and put alot of time and effort in reading all the info on this and other sites you will find a welth of information. The answers to all the questions you ask are here.

I recently purchased a 3000psi 2.5gpm washer to do my 1500 sq ft, 2-story home and driveway. Upon using it for the first time, I spent close to two hours using it and didn't even get my house half done.

That's very small.

Firstly, I spent a good bit of time wrestling with the stock hose that came with the washer. It constantly wrapped back up around itself so it was pretty much useless. Not only that, but certain areas didn't even get very clean.

1) My first question is regarding downstreaming vs upstreaming. I have been reading on the difference on how they work, but I don't know how I tell which one I have? There is a tube coming from the bottom with a siphon on the other end that I put into my chemical solution.

No one here runs chems through their machine. The easiest way to do get something called an XJet. Call Xterior and tell them your size and they will send you one.

2) My second question is, how do you calculate how much chemical you need to cover a certain amt of square feet? For example, lets say you need to cover 1000 sq ft of siding and 500 sq ft of driveway, how do you calculate how much you need? I used about a gallon of solution and didn't even do half of my house. I called my manufacturer and they said my washer mixes in 20:1 ratio. The back of the container says it covers 5000 sq ft. I mix according to need. Typically use 3-5 gallons on a home.

3) Third, how do you wash around areas with plants in the way? The bottom of my house is brick, and in the front, there are plants/briars growing RIGHT UP against the brick. I need access to the brick to get at the moss growing on it. How do I do this without butchering the plants?

Stealthily apply chemical and then ninja clean?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17084[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]17084[/ATTACH]

4) Choosing chemicals. Ok. So I've been reading a lot about chemicals. How do you decide what to use? There are so many out there. I see a lot of guys mix chlorine or bleach with various things. Should you just use a chemical the way it comes, or mix stuff with it? I know this can be dangerous.

The most basic of mixes is bleach and a surfactant like Dawn. Almost everyone will use a little bleach, depending. Many other chemical can be used. For your purposes, just try bleach and dawn starting out.

Right now I have this stuff by a local company called Monster that I got from Northern Tool. I bought the "concrete cleaner" and the "house cleaner." Should I return it and get something else, as well as get an aftermarket downstreaming kit so I can use whatever I want without worrying about pump damage?

5) Accessory selection. I have been reading quite a bit about different nozzles, telescoping wands, brush attachments, etc. Frankly its a little overwhelming and has me confused as to what I need.

a) Telescoping wand vs x-jet/laddersaver/similar

I can get a ladder saver nozzle and an adjustable downstream chemical injector kit for a good bit less than the price of a good telescoping wand, and not worry about wrestling with the wand. However I would like to do my roof at some point as well. Which is better?

b) Turbo nozzle vs cheap surface cleaner. Home depot sells turbo nozzles for around $35 and they have a cheap 15" surface cleaner as well. the "ez cleaner". Do I need both? I have a driveway, a rear patio, and front porch with pressure treated railing around it

c) Brushes. Do I really need the kind that attaches to a pressure washer? Or can I just get the regular type? My siding has these black spots that didn't really come very clean, from my reading I think they are plant spore spots.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17083[/ATTACH]

Regular kind. Brushing your house is great.