Sign in to follow this  
Mathew Johnson

Decker 5 to spray cleaners

Question

16 answers to this question

Wait for Rod n' Beth for that one because the I don't know if the components are chemical resistant, but if all else fails and you don't have a shurflo setup with viton seals, a good ol' pump sprayer works even for a big deck. You don't want to get too far ahead of yourself on stripping a big deck anyways, the chemical way ahead will dry out before you get there. Next season I will get a decker for the staining process. I haven't even used one and I'm convinced it's the best way to go as opposed to airless's cloud of doom or brushing and rolling. If the decker can't do that, they should make one that can!! Nick

I have a deckster that I converted to electric. I spray mostly stripper and oxallic with it. After usage I rinse it out EVERY TIME with two 5gl buckets of plain water. Holds up great.

Reed

I don't have a Decker, but rather a homemade setup, and all I run thru it is chems.

I run about a gallon of water thru for a rinse, and have had no problems at all.

I couldn't imagine going back to a pump up sprayer for applying deck chems.

Agreed, I use Shurflo for the EFC while a pump up is waiting with Citralic already dissolved. I good pump sprayer as a backup is necessary in my opinion.

A sealer cloud applied with airless is the cloud of doom.

Nick

I couldn't imagine using a pump up for any spraying anything.I would rather have a back up shur flo for spraying chems.It would take forever using a pump up when you have deck 1000 sqft and up.

I wish I ran into more decks over 1000 ft 2!! I use the pump up for citralic because it seems like it doesn't take that much to do its work and only requires a few pumps for most of the size of decks that I do ( < 1000 sq ft). One filling and about 1/2 hour will usually get it done because their is hardly any wasted overspray with citralic. Now volume for EFC is different, I have a shurflo setup for that. Nick

Have you ever been on the job and your sprayer battery dies...or if electric...the GFCI pops and no one is home to reset it?

I dont know how many others have a contingency plan, but a pump up has kept me up and running many times just for the reasons stated above.

With the exception of the pressure washer, I try to have a backup in case something fails.

Rod~

Yeah i've had the old battery die on me hate it. I try to keep some back up batteries.Now i've also seen myself just take the battery off my truck in those times desperate messures :)

The speed is wonderful for applying chems, but don't forget to take time to protect yourself and the property if chems are flying through the air. Sealer is a cloud of doom, but so is SH or an acid.

Be safe. :groovy2:

Beth :groovy3:

Learned my lesson from a GFCI popping. Now I take a coleman 5000watt generator with me and can power it and the neighbors freezer. 4 oulets and lets me run numerous sanders. Gas consumption on the generator is minimal can run for 8 hours on 5 gallons if needed. Plus, when running the deckster from the generator I don't have to worry about the homeowners circuit popping.

Reed