Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

Sikkens on Fir

Question

I was just asked to look at a deck for a previous customer - previously the deck was coated with latex solid stain on fir - two years ago, they had it re-skinned with Fir and then coated with Sikkens, SRD I assume.

Now the thing looks like the biggest piece of garbage I have ever seen. The problem is that it mirrors exactly my experience with my own Fir projects in the past.

Is sikkens just total crap - or is there something kind of F'd up with Fir? I've never seen a Fir deck look good - except one that had a roof and was painted with high gloss oil porch and floor paint.

Is DEFY epoxy style stain a good candidate with Fir wood? I am nervous about using A/C as I am having mildew problems with pressure treated.

Just wondering if anyone else has had any experience with Fir decking and noticed similar things. I have a friend with an old picnic table with the table top made from fir, semi-solid stain, probably has sat outdoors for the past 14+ years and still looks good. This is the only time I have ever seen outdoor stained fir look decent.

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet