Sign in to follow this  
bcpaq

Looking for Central Texas Advice and/or Service

Hi .... I am a homeowner who stumbled on this site while pounding Mr. Google for information on wood finishes.

I have a new house being constructed for me which will have wood siding. I am trying to wrap my wits around what to finish it with. I was fairly overwhelmed by the various choices and issues involved, and found this site to be a breath of fresh air. I was very happy to find so many experienced experts all in one place.

But I'm still puzzling my way through ...

I have contemplated approaching this as a DIY project, as well as engaging a professional. Each has downsides:

• DIY - From what I've learned here, I see it would be easy to get in over my head and end up with a botched job.
  • Professional - Finding one in the Central Texas area has been iffy.

First, let's start with a professional: If you are a contractor in the Central Texas area, or if you know of one you can recommend, please let me know! I'd like this job done right, and I don't mind paying.

Second is DIY: I am inexperienced, but not completely clueless. Do you folks think that getting good results with Sikkens SRD would be beyond an amateur's abilities?

The specifics on the project:

The house will have about 2400 sf of pine siding. This is non-pressure-treated pine. About 1500 sf of it is walls with a six foot porch roof overhand (this is the main part of the house). The rest will be much more exposed to the elements (semi-detached garage and a cupola on top of the main house).

The cupola is the biggest concern. It will bear the brunt of the Texas sun.

Any help will be appreciated!

The image below is a quickie I rendered with Sketchup.

Front.jpg

Here's a gallery of additional exterior angles: https://picasaweb.google.com/bcPaquette/Exteriors?feat=directlink

Brian,

I promise you, that you will not have any fun as a DIY on this project with little to no experience.

I know your area in Austin ( 30 plus yrs. in ATX) and am happy to answer any further questions you may have about stains or processes for your project.

Happy to help.

Plus I would recommend Bakers Gray Away or Ready Seal for this project.

I have some biz at the music lab in a few weeks in Austin and might be able to get out there.

It's really nice livin' in his neck of the woods.

Been busy as a one legged man in fire walking contest.

Just taking a breather right now.