Sign in to follow this  
RSuds

what kind of sealant would you put on this deck

Question

15 answers to this question

I am not sure what kind you are saying but it looks like ready seal? This is my deck and I have not done it for 2 years. I never did the ceiling and was thinking of doing it. Maybe Armstrong? I told Jake I would try his stuff. Nice guy.

Beautiful home and deck Brian. I would give the Armstrong a try you won't be disappointed. If it were me, I would use Armstrong Natural Tone on the ceiling and either Cedar Semi Transparent or Cedar Toner on the floor (depending on your preference for opaqueness).

I agree with Charlie, Natural Tone on the ceiling. I think the Cedar Tone may look great on the ceiling as well after the stain tones down some as it ages. Cedar Semi on the floor because of the sun.

You have a lot going on there. Keep it simple with clear RS. The ceiling comes out great with clear or light brown RS. When time to clean wash re- apply a light coat.I have a few ceiling strips in my time( big pain ) . Just keep it simple. KISS.......

I switched most of the decks it did with AC back to RS.

Edited by James

Thanks Jim I will fall and talk about it RS is what I am used to. And stripping the ceiling is not in my future.

We have done a lot of RS and woolmans and recoated them but never Armstrong?

Based upon the other threads here I think AC should recoat real easy and with minimum prep like TWP does.

I mean at the end of the day you gotta use what you feel comfortable with and are confident will give you the best results. Obviously if it were me I would use Armstrong but you can tell its a hotly debated subject everywhere. Since you mentioned you told Jake you would try the stain your deck is probably a great place to be able to monitor the finish and see if you get better results than what you currently use.

**Edit, like Doug said the process for recoat is no different than most of the oil based stains out there...if your a bleach guy a light wash with that does the trick or if you do a light percarb either way you still leave those oils in the wood and clean it enough to get another coat right on top.

Edited by bigchaz

You won't have to strip Armstrong Clark to reapply maintenance coats. Of the few we did, the ready seal decks I got again I switched to AC last time around

That's because anything north of half strength house wash, and your A.C. deck will be stripped. God forbid I ever come across a house wash with an adjacent A.C. deck that I unsuspectingly wash.

Now that would ruin my day!

Charlie, you've been lucky then. Because I know I can strip A.C. with my house wash. Maybe your guys didn't spend anytime rinsing off the deck, in which case perhaps all the loose pigment stayed in place - which is lucky. Or the homeowners just haven't been very discerning. But it would definitely be prudent of you to do some testing and make sure everything stays in place to your satisfaction. I routinely wash houses with adjacent decking, where I can literally scrub F-10 into the surface with dwell into a 2 yr. old finish - and nothing happens to the finish.