Sign in to follow this  
cwenbass

Rip it cleanert never seemed to wash off

Question

As i am just starting, I volunteered to do my aunt's deck. I used sunbrite's rip it with a surface cleaner from HD that actually worked great. The deck came out very nice however, when I was done surface cleaning, I wanted to wash/rinse it off. I sprayed water on the deck which was no bigger than 300 sq. ft. for a long time and I was still rinsing off the cleaner. I used 6 oz. of the cleaner, a gallon of water, a pump sprayer, and 10-15 min. of dwell time.

12 answers to this question

I suppose I'm going to be the mean one here but (a) if you don't even know what you're putting down - you shouldn't be using it (b) it takes practice to use a surfacer on a deck and you have to know how to tip the thing in order not to make a huge mess. 300 ft isn't squat not to mention the round thing doesn't get to the edges.

You need to read about 1000 threads on wood care ..... or pick up the phone before you try anything else on a deck.

Sorry to be harsh but too many contractors here specialize in wood and have fought like hell to set a standard that you may have just dropped into the pooper just messing around.

I use a mild acidic clear liquid wood restoring detergent called BACKBOARDS, which restores wood surfaces discolored by years of exposure to weathering elements. It readily transforms old gray or blackened, moldy wood to its original appearance. This stuff dramatically reduces cleaning efforts and time allowing more effective restoration than pressure water blasting alone. Use it and a gentle 500 to 1000PSI flush rinse eliminates gouging, splintering, furring, stop/start, overlapping marks and deep injections of water into the vulnerable wood fibers. It’s recommended for cedar, pressure treated, redwood and other types of wooden decks, shakes, roofs, fences and log cabins.

DIRECTIONS FROM Manufacture: Dilute with water as specified in the following ratios:

Wood restoration: Pressure washer cleaning: Full Strength or dilute up to 3 to 1 with water. Manual Scrubbing: Full Strength.

Mild Masonry Brightening: Full Strength Rust Stain Removal: Full Strength

RESTORATION TIPS -Ultra high pressure (greater than 2000 PSI) damages wood fibers. -DO NOT BLEACH! Sodium Hypochlorite solutions soften, raise the grain, and splinter wood fibers. Bleach also forms a film that deters follow up preservative penetration. Bleach and wood do not get along! -Use cold or warm water to pressure clean. Hot water softens wood causing fiber damage. -If a previous wood treatment is evident, a chemical stripper may first be required. Call ETS. -Follow up the wood restoration with a full bodied, replenishing wood preservative.

APPLICATIONS

Wood Restoration: Sweep or brush surface to be cleaned. Dampen wood surfaces with a water spray Generously apply Backboards by brush or garden pump sprayer. Agitate the surface with a medium bristle brush. Allow to set 15-20 minutes. If surface is drying, keep damp with a water mist spray. Gently flush rinse with a pressure washer to reveal a restored surface. If rinsing with a garden hose, additional scrubbing may be required. Mild masonry restoration and rust stain removal: Apply full strength let set 10-15 minutes, scrub if necessary, pressure rinse.

COMMENTS: Protect adjacent surfaces and plant life with light plastic draping. Mix well before using. Backboards is a saturated solution of high solids. Store above 50°F to prevent crystals forming on bottom of container. Warm the solution or dissolve crystals in hot water. Crystals will not effect products performance.

Edited by pressureman101

Pressureman.........please complete your signature properly. All 5 of your posts have been pushing products - are you actually a vendor?

nope not a vendor at all.. i was just offering my advice, as to what i use... as far as i can tell i was not doing anything wrong, i see many people here suggesting products? Is that not something we can do here?

I've spoke with the thread starter and corrected his actions.

You can always suggest products if you are not a vendor. As a vendor I would appreciate if it's not done in a thread asking specific questions about a product, but hey, it is ok and I am fine with it being done by a contractor. The way pressureman101 posted though is the reason others feel there are products being pushed. There was no injection to answer the thread question, just - here's a product. Just food for thought. I appreciate that you did offer the advice you did. It's always good to see one contractor helping another. I too am willing to be of assistance to anyone with these type questions, though for specific product info I would ask you to call me as I play by the vendor rules set up on these BBs's.

Edited by Tracy Handl

Hey pressureman101, i hope you read my post all the way through. I am very glad you spoke up to help. I was just pointing out that offering another product when there was a specific question raised about a product makes others think you are pushing a product as a covert vender. Please don't stop helping your fellow contractor. Others may learn from what you have to say my friend. Certainly no one in this thread was wanting you to stop contributing.

Hey pressureman101, i hope you read my post all the way through. I am very glad you spoke up to help. I was just pointing out that offering another product when there was a specific question raised about a product makes others think you are pushing a product as a covert vender. Please don't stop helping your fellow contractor. Others may learn from what you have to say my friend. Certainly no one in this thread was wanting you to stop contributing.

+100!

nope not a vendor at all.. i was just offering my advice, as to what i use... as far as i can tell i was not doing anything wrong, i see many people here suggesting products? Is that not something we can do here?

How are you affiliated with the forum you have linked to your signature?

Beth

no worries.. it's all good.. i saw that others would do that in other threads and thought i would be helpful with what i use. i will certainly be more careful with my postings in the future so as not to step on anyone's toes ;)

How are you affiliated with the forum you have linked to your signature?

Beth

Just a general user over there. it's a newer message board I found of a product I really like. I do not have a website of my own, I do phone and word of mouth atm, and since I was told I have to "complete" my signature which I assumed meant i had to have a link i went with this one. I can pull it if you wish? No problem to me. Edited by pressureman101