Sign in to follow this  
eds1

still have mildew after cleaning

Hi All,

My deck is pressure treated pine (Culpeper Select), never been stained and is 12 months old.

I cleaned it today with Restore-A-Deck. I followed the directions with the cleaner and brightener. It made my deck look better and a lot of dirt came out of the wood.

However, in some places on my deck, I still have mildew of the grey/black variety. I have attached a picture. The picture was taken about 90 minutes after cleaning, so the boards are still wet.

I‘d appreciate some feedback from the pros… Can I get it cleaner? Should I try something harsher? Should I sand? Or is it good enough?

[ATTACH]17452[/ATTACH]

Thanks

-Eddie

post-6627-13777238805_thumb.jpg

I would wait until it fully dries to check again. Hard to say but looks less like mold and more like some areas may not have gotten hit with brightener...but I could be wrong.

Well after drying for 24 hours the deck looks very clean and uniform. The mildew spots are hardly noticeable when dry... a very very light grey. I do have fine hairs in many places especially where I used a brush to remove mildew. Is this normal? Should I do a light sand with fine sand paper before staining, or just stain away when the boards are fully dry? I plan to use AC semi-cedar. Thanks.

Yea the "hairs" are what we call fuzz, not uncommon on pine. A light sanding will take care of them but stick with 60 grit sandpaper, don't use anything fine as it will close up the wood pores. Good choice on the AC stain :)