Sign in to follow this  
One Tough Pressure

Kohler Carb problem

Have a Kohler 12hp with a Mikuni Carb. Turned on the gas just to see it dribble down the side and make a big mess.

Take a close look to see where it is coming from and after looking at both sides of the carb, realize it is a very small plastic plug that is missing. No where to get a new one in the middle of the night, so I used the ink cartridge from a ball point pen and voila, got me done and home.

Anyone ever have this problem? Worked fine 2 days ago and then this. Will need to track doen some "plugs" and keep a few on hand.

Had a similar problem on my lawn mower (kohler 18hp engine). Plug came out and allowed gas to fill up the cylinders. talk a b*tch to fix....I broke two cords with all of the pulling I had to do to push the oil and gas out through the exhaust. I found the plug on the ground beside the mower though, so no big deal. Do you have a manual? If not, I'll check in mine to see if they have that part listed.

Are you Macgyver in disguise???

Celeste :)

If I can fix it in the field, I will do. Before I tried the pen, I used a whole bunch of other stuff and almost felt defeated. I am not a master mechanic, but I get by in most situations.

Ryan,

The plug is so small that I will never find it. I will go to the mower store and see if they carry any, but Mikuni Carb is less than 30 minutes away. It will be labor intensive to replace the plug with an original one as it is way in there and is very small. I think a box of pens will be better suited. Just wonder why it came out. I should tap it out and install a screw.