Sign in to follow this  
kentuckynet

My Home, help decide what to do with Sikkens thats peeling

Question

Hello, i have been lazy and i didnt do the maint coats of my sikkens cetol 21. I pressure washed the siding "cedar" applied the TSP and bleach and water solution. Then it still as peelin/lifting so bad on the west side of my home "see photos" i begab sanding it with a palm sander. Looks better but when you wet it you can plainly see there is still a lot of product left on the house. I called th sikkens rep and he told me if there was any gray wood i had to sand it back to the red cedar then put the original cetol 1 and feather it in.

The put the cetol 21 plus on all of it. My question for you guys is do you think i should just try removing all of it? HD-80? Or just roll the dice and do what the sales rep said do?

thanks for your good advice.....

post-8513-137772389082_thumb.jpg

post-8513-137772389243_thumb.jpg

5 answers to this question

Welcome to TGS. Please add your signature. House rules. And be patient, most of us are out working during the day, since it is busy season.

Beth

p.s. that is not a DIY job, I urge you to hire a pro.

And he mentions HD-80...CONTRACTOR grade chemicals.

Like I said, hire a pro. It will cost less in the long run. If you make it worse, which is easy to do, you will spend more to correct the new issues plus the older ones.

NOT a DIY project. Many pro's run from Sikkens. We don't, but many do.

Beth

Once Sikkens has aged to the point of peeling, the product has darkened to the point it will not longer be matchable to the color out of the can. It will look splotchy.

"put the original cetol 1 and feather it in."

Sorry, but your rep is an idiot. This is near impossible for a homeowner (let alone a pro) to do with any real tangible results that would be acceptable. Trust me, there is no way you will be able to match that color once it has color shifted from UV exposure (which by the photos, it obviously has) with the contents of the can (if you have more and enough to do the job) which has not seen UV exposure.

2nd, cetol 1 is no longer available in most states so that could be another issue as well, product compatibility.

I was always taught to do it right.

It needs to be stripped, sanded and then re-applied.

Regular maintenance should occur much sooner and never allow it to get to the point of cracking or peeling to avoid this condition again.

If this is too much for either your budget or ability, select another product that is more maintenance friendly and apply it instead.

Rod!~

Edited by Beth n Rod