Sign in to follow this  
al9226

Concrete cleaning with Oxalic

Question

I've been cleaning for 2 1/2 yrs now. Been using a beefed up version of my house wash for concrete (mostly residential). I see that many are using oxalic acid. I would like to know how much to mix and how to apply it (Downstream?)

14 answers to this question

So I wash with the house wash like usual, then how do I apply the ox. Then do i rinse it or leave it sit.

You don't want to use it on the body of the house, use it on the concrete for great results. I mix it at 6 oz (by weight) to a gallon of water and apply it with an electric chemical sprayer after having cleaned with a surface cleaner. Downstreaming dilutes it too much. As for dwell time... 10 minutes or so. Do yourself a favor a pick up a little scale like the drug dealers use. I bought mine for about 5 dollars on ebay.

You don't want to use it on the body of the house, use it on the concrete for great results. I mix it at 6 oz (by weight) to a gallon of water and apply it with an electric chemical sprayer after having cleaned with a surface cleaner. Downstreaming dilutes it too much. As for dwell time... 10 minutes or so. Do yourself a favor a pick up a little scale like the drug dealers use. I bought mine for about 5 dollars on ebay.

Also called postage scales. :D

I was using it one night in my kitchen measuring out sodium precarbonate for (5 gallon buckets) and sealing it in ziplock bags just so it's easier at a job site... just dump the bag into a bucket of warm water. I answer a knock on the door to find my friend (who is also a policeman) looking to use some power tools. He was pretty surprised to see the little scale, white powder, and ziplock bags on the kitchen table. He got a good laugh out of it after I explained what I was doing.

I was using it one night in my kitchen measuring out sodium precarbonate for (5 gallon buckets) and sealing it in ziplock bags just so it's easier at a job site... just dump the bag into a bucket of warm water. I answer a knock on the door to find my friend (who is also a policeman) looking to use some power tools. He was pretty surprised to see the little scale, white powder, and ziplock bags on the kitchen table. He got a good laugh out of it after I explained what I was doing.

That is actually a good idea. I've done that then put the bags in my chem bucket with lids. I was putting 50 lb bags of TSP, Caustic and Oxalic in those plastic dog food barrels with screw on lids and moisture was still getting in and clumping up and hardening my chems. I did the baggies with the caustic since it is so hygroscopic and it was an easy way to handle it and just dump a bag in the fiver when ready. I am trying out now some of the buckets with screw on tops like pool chemicals come in. Seems like they may be the way to go.

I found that using my wife's food vacuum sealer works great. I make the bags a little extra bigger (about 2 or 3 inches) because after I get done cutting them open at the site I can resuse them many times over. Just cut the bag right at the heated-melted sealed part and you're good to go with reusing the bag.

That is an excellent idea and even a funnier story! Haha

You can also apply oxylic acid using and xjet m-5. Mix about 2 to 3 pounds per 5 gallons and spray it on the concrete. Make sure you hit all concrete because it does brighten it, and you will see where you missed a spot.

I found that most do not care about the nice bright look. They are focused on price and for it to look better than before. This seems to be the motto given the economic conditions. I will use oxalic given the clientele.

I found that most do not care about the nice bright look. They are focused on price and for it to look better than before. This seems to be the motto given the economic conditions. I will use oxalic given the clientele.

Kinda what I've been running into. It's been months since I've even sold a driveway cleaning and my prices are more than fair, but once they hear the price, it's all over. "just the house will be fine" is the normal response. O well I hate doing concrete anyways.

Oxalic should ALWAYS be an upcharge. It's a good amount of work to mix up and apply and the fumes are not fun...

So I wash with the house wash like usual, then how do I apply the ox. Then do i rinse it or leave it sit.

Yes, wash the house with your usual house wax mixture. In many cases you will not have to pre-treat residential concrete with any chemicals. Hot water will get the job done in most cases. Some driveways may require a pretreatment of a degreaser and/or sodium hypochlorite.

Once you have cleaned and rinsed the driveway. Simply spray the driveway with Oxalic Acid. I usually spray it on with an X-Jet but have also used a shurflo set-up. My X-Jet mixture is 12 oz per gallon of warm water. My shurflo mixture is 32 oz per 5 gallons of warm water.