Sign in to follow this  
Jared

Softwash ONLY wood decks?

Question

We have been doing wood decks on ocassion for years using pressure and a lot of care but with doing some reading it seems low pressure and the proper chems can do better than pressure. How often do you have to use a pressure cleaner with atleast 3000 PSI? If we used a non bleach percarboante method would this eliminate the need for power? The threads seem spilt on sh or not so I'm not clear. When I have used bleach I have had to pressure clean off the grey color. I need to qualify that I haven't used Oxalic to brighten afterwards. Does the Oxalic eliminate the grey wood fiber or is pressure still needed before brightening?

Edited by Jared

10 answers to this question

Depends on the definition of "High Pressure". If you're talking about 3000 psi, then NO you wouldn't want to use that. Generally you want to use around 1000 psi. Having an adjustable pressure wand helps greatly when cleaning wood. The more pressure you use, the more "Felting", the more sanding, the more time, the less money you make.

Hope this helps.

You can also drop your pressure to around 1000 psi using the proper oversize orifice and a fan tip. Also a lot of us use a caustic based cleaner such as F18 max or similar and then oxalic.

Thanks for the helpful information!

Can you recommend a variable pressure wand?

Edited by Jared

So irrespective of chemical application high pressure is required to clean virtually all wood decks?

I consider softwash under 500 psi. No pressure under 100 psi. Low pressure under 1500 psi. As measured as the tip.

I thought you were talking about softwashing since that's the title of your topic.

There are also people who just spray through a pump with "no pressure". They are also calling this "softwash" . The RCIA was trying to bash power washing last year and spreading fear about it in order to promote this type of cleaning.

Edited by Doug Black

I consider softwash under 500 psi. No pressure under 100 psi. Low pressure under 1500 psi. As measured as the tip.

I thought you were talking about softwashing since that's the title of your topic.

There are also people who just spray through a pump with "no pressure". They are also calling this "softwash" . The RCIA was trying to bash power washing last year and spreading fear about it in order to promote this type of cleaning.

Wheres the like button???

Doug, couldn't agree more. Fear mongering to sell "Soft Wash" equipment. Guess we know how that ended.

Yep, we wash homes using under 500 psi, concrete 3000psi, wood around 1000....Knowing the difference.......Priceless