Sign in to follow this  
Lou Beach

Help needed on purchasing a used Rig

Hey folks,

Looking for a used rig and have been told this is the best time of year to get a good used rig at a decent price.

Since most of the rigs that I see for sale on Ebay and on the various boards are a couple of states away from me, how do you determine if a rig is a good buy or not?

What are the things I should be looking for?

How do I determine if everything is in working order and if the equipment is in proper working order.

As an example here is a rig on ebay that looks pretty good to me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46536&item=3844608219&rd=1

How would I go about evaluating this rig to determine if I am getting a solid setup that will serve me well?

Do you kinda have to take a chance on the used stuff, hoping for the best or is there a method or way to determine what you are looking at on the internet is a legit, solid rig?

Like if you buy a car you can drive it, kick the tires, have a mechanic look at it, ect.

When a rig is in another state pretty much all you have to go on is the pics and the word of the seller of the equipment.

Any ideas on how to make sure you are getting a decent used rig when buying out of state?

Lou, as far as rigs in other states.....it is possible that there is a member on the board who may be close enough to go check it out for you. We bought ours from an Ebay auction however, we were fortunate enough to be about 10 miles away from the guy. If you run across one in the central NC area, we'd be glad to take a look for you so at least someone's eyes besides the sellers would have been on it.

The one in your post looks like a pretty nice setup - Roger's concern was the 16 HP motor running a 3500psi/5gpm machine. Ours is 3500/5.6 with an 18 HP and we feel it would do better with a higher hp engine.

There is a guy about an hour away from us with a 2 man unit for sale -(Hydrotek) but I'm not sure what kind of money you are wanting to put into start up. We can get details then check it out for you in person if you like. Are you going to be at the RT in DC?

Celeste

Hey Celeste,

I am 75% sure I will be at the roundtable in DC next week.

thats a good idea to have someone local check out the equipment for me.

The power of internet message boards!

Thank you.

Lou,

I've inquired about a rig or two on ebay, ask them if they have a PW shop close by and if they'll take it in to have it checked out. The shop I use does a full check out everytime you bring it in, PSI, GPM, Burner Temp, generator output, general condition of hoses, wands etc.

When I bought mine used they did this same check out for me, it was around $60.00. Of the two I've asked about on Ebay one guy had a similar check out sheet, the other didn't and wouldn't.

I'd shoot the seller a question and see if they have or will get one. It's by no means a gaurantee, but does offer some peace of mind.

Good Luck,

JD

Hey Celeste,

I am 75% sure I will be at the roundtable in DC next week.

thats a good idea to have someone local check out the equipment for me.

The power of internet message boards!

Thank you.

Lou, shoot me an email and let me know your ballpark spending range. I can try to make arrangements to get to Winston and take pics of this guys stuff if you're in his asking range. We're coming to DC so I can bring you the pics and details. From what he's told Roger (and yes we have personally inquired on the package) it's a great deal, just more than we can personally take on right now.

Celeste