Sign in to follow this  
seymore

Cleaning with Bleach

Question

Here is part of the 1500 sqft.PT deck I cleaned today with bleach and P/washed.It was never sealed and I'm gonna seal it next week with Super Clear.

17 answers to this question

You're lucky, no spindles..

Why bleach and not a precarb? I know the dirty on bleach for wood is that it breaks down the wood fibers, but as far as I know the jury is still out on that. Anybody know for sure? Precarb followed by Citralic is quite a bit more expensive than Wally world bleach.

Looks good, Nick

Thanks Nick

Yeah no spindles but wall to wall cultured stone and flagstone so lots of plastic and water :D

I have never used anything else but bleach/soap and just started using Oxalic acid the last few months.We buy 12% bleach from a chem company here in town pretty cheap.

I feel if you use a good oil base sealer and soak it in the wood will not be dry and crack.I know bleach will dry the wood up and can damage the wood.That's why using an good oil base sealer instead of water base will prevent the damaging of the wood.

I've seen many decks in 7 yrs and the sun is probally the worst factor that damages the wood.

Hi, I'm new to this board, glad I found it. Can anyone tell me why after we cleaned our logs with Oxy-Con today, (round log home completely stripped, hand sanded every log, vacuumed all dust and then washed off.) By the time we got done with the last side the first side had black like ghosts, specs, etc. We used Oxy-Con and a scrub brush today and the black turned even blacker when we wet the logs down. Can anyone help, please.

Dave

Do you mean Oxy clean ?

Did you use a neutralizer like oxalic acid after you stripped it?

Try testing an area cleaning with bleach/water but it's hard to say if you still had mildew if you sanded it.

No Oxy-Con is a product by PermaChink. It's 99% oxalic. Dave feel free to give me a call. Those black spots could be several different things. One thing I do know is the Oxi-Con isn't a cleaner, it's a conditioner. If you have the complete Permachink suite you should have their precarb.

Yes, I'm sorry I meant OxyClean. Although, we have tried Oxy-Con, Wood-Prep, Bleach, Dawn, etc. I was told that you only had to apply oxylic acid if a cautic cleaner was used. Is this not true? Its a long story but originally the house had Defy on it, contractor applied caustic ?, let it sit too long, applied minimal neutralizer, didnt rinse well enough and logs fuzzed up, he started sanding and we ended up finishing the sanding on our own. It took us 4 months. By the time we finished, the south side was eaten up with UV and greyed and black, may be some bluestain, or sapstain, but it just gets worse everyday. Round 12" logs, lodgepole pine, home is about 20 years old. High humidity and rain hasnt helped either. Can you suggest something that will help? It almost looks like Rawhide stain that I saw on a loghome that had Buhr stain on it. Now the weather is getting cold and many stains have temp guides. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks, Dave

Yeah, we were told that the Oxy-Clean might do the trick, it didnt. Unless, the Oxy-Clean is caustic and needs to be neutralized, if thats the case then I guess thats why its got black globs all over it. We cant keep wetting these logs or we're gonna have a Noahs Ark all our own. Help

Dave

Oxy clean shouldn't turn your wood black.

Does the house look like all of the old sealant is removed?

If you could take a pic and post it it would be more helpful :)

Wish I could, dont have a digital camera anymore, somehow ended up at college with the daughter? The stain is totally off, every log was hand sanded. Could UV damage be so bad that it turned the gray, black? Only the logs on the south side of house have it, but I bet before long, if it is mold of some kind it will find its way all over. I gotta get this stuff off. I've nearly exhausted my money for this project, and I havent even bought stain yet.

I'm sorry to hear of all your problems, unfortunately that's very common with log homes. I would hit it with oxalic 8oz to the gallon and roll with it. This should take care of any mild graying, blue spotting and black spots. Have you noticed if the black spots are around nails? It is possible that some stripper was left untouched by the previous contractor and that's why you are experiencing the black spots. Have you tested the pH of the run off water? The wood tux sold here should suite you fine.

Does Wood tux have a temperature guide for application? The high is getting to be around 55 or 60 around here and a low of 36-40 or so in the mornings. Thanks, Nick

Can I get color samples of Wood Tux? Where, or who would I contact. The logs look good today, after drying overnight, they still need to dry at least another day. Where can I buy Wood Tux? Is it available anywhere in the St. Louis area?

Thanks, Dave

Dave

Beth is out of town for the weekend she's the Admin on this site and the distributor for Wood Tux.She would be able to help you i would guess Mon-Tues.

Unless you get a response from a contractor in the St.Louie area that can help you.

Glad top hear the logs are looking better :cool:

I'll have jobs that dry up much better looking than when they are wet.

Does Wood tux have a temperature guide for application? The high is getting to be around 55 or 60 around here and a low of 36-40 or so in the mornings. Thanks, Nick

Wood Tux is best applied to wood with a surface temperature above 40 degrees

Jesse R. Kirchhoff

Kirchhoff Handyman Solutions LLC www.midmohandyman.com

Advanced Power Washing and Restoration Services LLC www.advancedpw.com

114 Forest Hill Ave. Jefferson City, Mo 65109

Local 573-634-8882 Toll Free 1-866-635-2708

E-Mail jessekirchhoff@mchsi.com